The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

What kind of relationship do you have with your friends?

I'm talking the ones that you live by, or have physically known. Not computer friends no matter how close you may be.
There is something about computer friends that makes it easier to open up to. Share all, every last shred of information about any situation that you are going through.
Its easier, you can be more honest because you will not see that person in your daily life.
You have them when you need support, when you have support to give, or you just want a connection with someone going through the same things you are.
Its easy to find someone somewhere online who is going through the exact same thing you are at the exact same time.
Take for example my situations.
My loss. I only know of two people in real life who has gone through a loss. One is an aunt who we have no connection at all. I won't let this be the connection. We're much to far estranged to become close at all, and honestly, its too personal for me to let her in. The other person doesn't even know I know. She wanted no one to know, but her husband told mine, and there we sit. It killed me not being able to offer her any sort of support, but I respect her choice.
My high FSH. I know NO ONE, not a soul in my real life who had this problem. I don't think 99% of people, make that probably 100% of people who know what FSH even is!
Secondary infertility...again...I know ONE person in the neighborhood who is going to be starting IVF soon. I only know that because one other neighbor told me. I don't know her at all, and she seems like one of those women who wouldn't appreciate you going up to start a conversation. We just wouldn't be friends as far as I can see.
HELLP...again, I know one person. But she doesn't talk about it, didn't care to find out any information afterwards, and it wasn't much of a big deal to her, or so it seems.
Logan's Brain cyst...of course I know no one in my real life who's child has a brain cyst. Or anyone who would know what it is like to envision your child having possible surgery in of all places, his brain.
With all of these issues, I have found a multitude of support online. People who have been in the EXACT same situation.
Strangers who have turned into friends. People who could relate, and even if they COULDN'T relate offered a shoulder and an ear. People who have had other things happen to them that makes them empathetic to similar situations. As I have also done for other online friends.
Yet, I think about my REAL life friends. The ones that I can touch. The ones that really COULD give hugs who completely are not like the online friendships I have.
Yes, they might know something was going on when I couldn't get pregnant after my miscarriage. Some even knew about my loss, my infertility. Yet, it was one of those things that would get talked about a bit, and then the topic would turn to the weather or other unimportant tidbit of useless information.
The ones who saw my bloodshot eyes after an appointment who never mentioned it.
My past friend (who is no longer) who walked me to my car after a dinner with friends and I cried to her. I told her that I was at an all time low and I just needed someone to have a beer (or 6) with an let it all out. She absolutely agreed to meet with me that Friday to let it all out and then stood me up, never to call again.
Don't get me wrong, more the most part I love my real life friends. Even though they are not the deep down friends that you have when you are growing up. Most of them are neighborhood moms that migrated together because of children. We don't know the innermost thoughts and problems that each one has, we just meet, smile, push the kids on the swings, talk about mundane daily life and leave it at that. It sounds horrible, but really, its not. Its nice actually.
What I LONG for are the real life friends like the ones that I have met online.
The ones that I could call and say, 'bring child so-and-so over to play with Logan and lets gossip over coffee.' Or, 'I'm having such a hard day, please lets meet for lunch' Or someone that would say the same exact thing to me.
Someone I could dish all my life to, and also listen to them do the same.
Do you all have friends like that? I have a friend that I've had for 13 yrs that is ALMOST like that, but not quite. With work it could be, but I don't know if I want to go that far with that friendship.
I guess I long for that highschool feeling of having a best friend.
You remember, passing notes in class...sitting on the phone for hours at a time sorting out every last detail of the day. Problems, crushes, all of life's issues.
Of course I don't want to sit on the phone for hours and pass notes, but I want that deepness where I can tell them anything and they can tell ME anything.
Does that even exist for someone pushing 30?
Don't get me wrong, I love my real life friends. I love the relationship we share. I just wish I could build a DEEPER relationship with an actual person that I could have coffee with...anyone relate?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

totally.
I don't even have friends my own age. They're all like extra moms. They're fun and I love them, but if I dish out all my stuff to them I get motherly advice since they're all twice my age.
I'm trying to cultivate friends my age and its hard. Its hard to find someone who gets me and I can be myself--nothing more and nothing less with.
One of my closest friends recently discovered my blog and she was shocked at how much she learned about me. that made me feel like shit. what kind of friend am I? why can't I get close to people?
I desperately need friends my own age with kids.
One of my other friends is a guy in his early twenties. We've known eachother forever and he's like my brother or my kid. His wife is pregnant right now and even though she's like 21, I'm trying to cultivate a friendship with her, too, so that we can have the kids together, etc.

3:11 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I totally relate to what you are saying! I have the friends you are talking about, getting together with the kids etc., but not like the friends I had in high school. I really would like a deeper connection, but often feel like it'd be too much work and I'm already exhausted. How lame, right?

6:07 PM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

I "had" in the past tense up until we moved and other things happened, some friends like that. It was nice. We could talk about anything like you've mentioned and we had kids....BUT life happens and there it goes.

I have 1 friend that lives in a diff state and we talk on the phone but it's chit chat nowadays....

My friend that I hang out with ALL the time and has kids also, we talk about alot of stuff but I can't tell her EVERYTHING...

So yes, it's so much easier to form friendships online.

Weird isn't it. :)

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I can relate. I have friends here, but lots are just "mommy" friends. A few really close ones I can tell it all to, some single/childless friends, and some far-away phone friends. And they're all great for different reasons. But it'd be nice if I could have that "best friend" where you can be yourself completely with- with no worries of judgement. Like you said, someone you can call up and bring over the kids to sit down, have coffee, gossip, and tell your life story to.
I was beginning to think I'd found a friend like that and then she had to go and move away to Wisconsin! Sadly now, I have her only as a computer and phone friend. I miss you Carrie!!!!

2:29 PM

 
Blogger ErinMary said...

I used to have friends like that, then I got married and had a baby and everything changed. One of my best friends I've tried and tried with, but we only manage to talk occasionally. One I can't relate to any more, she's single and I feel like my mommy life style is an imposition. One was a gay male friend who pretty much stopped talking to me after I got married (we were friends and roommies for years). A couple of others I have fallen out with, and this leaves me pretty much without any friends that I talk to on a regular basis. I know I'm 1/2 to blame for some of them...it's really hard. I've thought about blogging on this subject too, maybe one day soon.

2:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abha here!
Wish you lived nearby!
I would be that friend for you!
I have a friend like that now!Tera- my boss!! We are close!I can call her middle of the night and vice versa- and we do- just to vent!And I am always glad that I opened up to her the way I do because she alwas has a fresh insight into my study of the situation! Jen you are one of those people I know I would open up to!! Like it is with Tera there would be days we will laugh at almost any and everything and convince ourselves that we are 12 and then there will be days where we can shed tears together and know that this bond was meant to be!!Love you so much!!

5:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there " Jennifer " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

2:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Jennifer I really liked your blog What kind of relationship do you have with your friends? , it was an informative read. Although it wasn't the exact topic I was searching for. I thought you might be interested in checking out my blog at http://mozilla-fox.blogspot.com .
All the best.

4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home