The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Just a little piece left behind

For the last few months or more probably I have had spotting and horrible cramping on an almost daily basis.
My doctor did bloodwork and when my hormones came back normal, he was content with putting me on BCP's and calling it a day.
I on the other hand wanted to know WHY I was bleeding.
I made an appt with a different doctor who immediately scheduled an ultrasound.
This ultrasound was today, and I had an appt with the doctor immediately after.
I found out that my uterine lining is too thick.
What this doctor believes is that a piece of my placenta was left behind after delivery.
7 1/2 months ago.
Lovely.
So, in a few weeks I go in for a hysteroscopy (anyone had one?) and a D&C to get out whatever is in there.
She said it is most likely placenta. If not, it could be polyps or fibroids. She said if I were older, she'd be more concerned about cancer, but seeing I had a clear pap 6 months ago, she's not too concerned with that. Thanks for even mentioning it, right?
Along with the spotting, when my actual PERIOD comes, my cramps are so bad that I usually spend the first day in complete agony. I'm not exaggerating either. Almost to the point where I canNOT get out of bed.
She feels that seeing we are doing the hysteroscopy, and seeing we are absolutely sure we are done having children that a endometrial ablation would be a good choice.
wee bit nervous of the actual procedures.
Of course I'll be under complete sedation, and apparently recover time is quick and there is a chance I will not get periods anymore. Who wouldn't want that, right? If I do, they will most likely be light. No more flooding.
Being ONLY 28 (how's that for positive thinking!) and having to have my period for MANY years to come, I think that sounds like a plan!
The date is set for September 9th.
So, apparently the HELLP was not enough, I have to go and have PLACENTA left over!
Don't ya think they would have realized that??

8 Comments:

Blogger Info for you said...

Oh Jen that sucks!! I 'm so sorry. :(

Keep us updated.

9:56 PM

 
Blogger Misti said...

Thats tough *big hugs* girl!its a good thing you went to the other dr.
my mom had one after she had me when she was 22.

10:47 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Oh, Jen, I'm so sorry ! You've been through so much already! It does sound like you have a great outlook on it all, though. Kudos to you for that. You are such a strong woman, and I admire you so.

I'll be thinking of you on the 9th.

((Hugs))

10:15 AM

 
Blogger Steph said...

((HUGS)) I would be scared too! My friend had the uterine ablation done and she said it wasn't too bad! What a perk though, no periods!! I might sign up for that! lol I didn't realize how common it was to have some retained placenta. The Vet I worked with had it with both of her children. The 2nd child, she almost bled to death and they had to rush her to emergency surgery to get it all out! The 1st time, she went home and just bled all over the place, so they found it.

I'm thinking of you! ((HUGS))

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Simone said...

Good thing you went to another Dr. That first Dr. shouldn't have ignored your ongoing symptoms. You should tell him off!

Sorry about all this. What a nightmare. But hopefully you'll have no more pain after it's all over.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Kari said...

Holy Crap Jen....geez. I'm so sorry you have to go through this now. My mom had that done, she has one day of spotting every month.

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Wow! Placenta? 7 months later? Yikes. The no period/light period thing sounds pretty good though.

7:41 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

I can't believe this. Its like the bad birth experience that wouldn't end.
Please keep us updated. I am so very sorry that this has happened, but I hope they can fix it soon so that you don't have to go through so much pain.

11:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home