The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Friday, April 08, 2005

uh...who took my baby?

The book I was talking about for those of you who could not see the picture is, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Mark Weissbluth (I believe is his name)

The funny thing is, we could have WRITTEN this book. We followed it to a T with Logan without even reading a book. But, well, Logan was one of those EASY babies.

So I started yesterday at 12:15. Miles looked a bit sleepy, but not to the point of grumpyness. Logan naps at 12:30 so I told Logan I was going to go try to put Miles down for a nap.
3 minutes after I put him in he was sound asleep. Do you know how long he slept in his crib people???
Any guesses????
2 1/2 HOURS! No lie!

This Dr recommends a very early bedtime (we used to put Logan down at 7pm each night)
We ate supper last night at 6:15ish and after supper I didn't clean the kitchen like I normally do. I sent Dave and Logan out to play outside and I gave Miles a nice long bath. I lotioned him up and gave him a little massage. I put him in his snuggly pj's and fed him a bottle. It was only 1 1/2 hrs since he had eaten, but I could see he was getting tired. It was around 7pm when I started feeding him. He was in bed by 7:30!!! SLEEPING!!
We put Logan to bed at 7:30 (but we read 3 books each night so we usually don't get out of his room until a bit before 8:00)
Dave and I were astounded to have BOTH children in bed sleeping and we had nothing to do. Well we COULD have..ahem...you know....BUT! We didn't! haha! I cleaned the kitchen, did some laundry and sat down to read more of my book.
I had fully planned on Miles waking up at 10ish to eat. We went to bed around 9:40 and Dave was going to get up first.
I fell right to sleep and woke up to Miles stirring. I went to the bathroom and woke up dave. I then looked at the clock...
are you ready for this people??????

1:30am!

6 1/2 HOURS! (then 3 1/2 hrs for the next feeding)

The author says that all babies are ready for a nap 1-2hrs, but no more than 2 hrs after waking up from sleep.
Miles woke up around 7am. By 8am he was getting a bit spacy, grouchy. I fixed his bottle and he ate and went straight down for nap.
NO crying!
He's sleeping right now in his crib as I type!

Could this be the beginning of change. I'm telling you the anticipation I'm getting for this to be our big turn around is SO exciting!
Don't get me wrong, I know we could go backwards. It has been 3 great sleeping episodes so far. 3 out of 3!
I highly recommend this book!
Now, today won't be so great because we are leaving both kids to go get our boat.
Miles will first be with one grandma who will then have to take him to the next grandma later in the day.
We'll be home by 6ish though, so hopefully we can keep his night routine the same as last night!
I feel energized, happy, and actually JOYOUS this morning!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

omigosh! yay! I'm so happy for you. I think this will be the start. It might be a bumpy start, but a start!
Liam went 7 hours between two feedings yesterday but didn't sleep the whole time. We put him to bed sooo late. I guess we need to stop that.

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Simone said...

This is great news! I hope it is the start of something new. Enjoy your free time!

9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I'm excited for you :)

I have the book just yet to pick it up! Guess it might do some good to start!

11:09 AM

 
Blogger ErinMary said...

Sounds wonderful! Thomas got up 3 times a night for almost 10 months and I don't think I could survive Ryan doing the same. Maybe I'll go out and by the book one of these days.

11:55 AM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Ok, I'm buying the book. Maura didn't sleep last night. How early can you start them on this sleeping thing??

I'm so glad that it's working so far!! I'm crossing my fingers that it continues to work!!

12:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THank you for this recommendation! My Beanlet is due in August and I am dreading the sleepless nights (i am not good when i don't sleep!). It's always amazed me seeing my friends put their young kids to sleep at 8, 9pm... when I was a kid I was in my bed by 7 at the latest! So this fits really neatly into my sleep and child-rearing ethos, and more importantly, it seems to work!
Enjoy your newfound time and congrats for getting Miles settled so fast!

4:25 PM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Holy smokes! Sounds like this author actually knows what he's/she's talking about! I'll have to look into this book! :)

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

Great book!!! Way to go!! Yeah for Miles.

7:51 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Yeah, Jen. I am so excited for you. It is amazing how you can feel after some sleep. I hope everything continues with the sleep patterns for Miles.

10:38 PM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

how old is Miles now? I have a terrible time remembering these things. I think it's wonderful that he's sleeping well for you, and yes it will go back and forth, but for the most part, he should stay like this. Aiden more or less taught me how and when he wanted to sleep. Though I did find somewhere that babies shouldn't be awake more than 2 hours at a time, and he was wanting to stay up for 3 or 4 hours and getting quite horrid. He's older now, only napping 3 times a day, but sleeping beautifully at night. Good luck!

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home