The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's 6:47am. I've been awake for two hours.
Dave has left for work, and the kids are still sleeping.
My bottom lip is fuller than Angelina Jolie's currently due to about 6 cold sores all under the lip. I even have a nice big cold sore on my nose.
I look like a clown.

Let me tell you, if you ever have the chance to go to Rhode Island, take it.
I love that state.
OK, some highlights...
Providence-we didn't really see much there, but we had a nice dinner downtown and took a nice walk in the evening.
Block Islands-oh Simone, your beloved block island. Well, let's see. We were told by all the locals of Providence that we would not need a ferry reservation for our car due to being so late in the season.
wrong.
We decided to leave our car back which was not an easy choice seeing it was raining out. When the ferry arrived, we walked to our 'hotel' (shit hole) and spent the next 2 days getting soaked. We wound up switching hotels for our second night. After we checked in, we decided to buck up and buy a poncho and umbrellas and start hiking. It was at this time only drizzling. We walked a good 3-4 miles when I swear a monsoon came in! ha! It was incredible. Our umbrella's were pointless due to the wind. Our shoes were literally SOAKED, and our pants were wet all the way up even with a poncho.
The good news was that we got to use the dryer at the hotel, so we patiently waited for our shoes to dry, watched a couple of movies and went to dinner. There was a 'piano man' at the restaurant we went. There were only 4 tables of people, and he was taking requests. We stayed, listened, drank WAAAY too much beer and got back to our hotel by 8:37pm after getting soaked again on the way home.
Luckily, the next morning (the morning we were leaving block island) the sun was shining. We rented a moped and hit the road. How fun. We even saw a beached whale. It had been beached for a week, so it was already pretty gross. They figured it was an adolescent. It was 50 ft!! HUGE! Gross, so no pictures, but HUGE!
After a nice morning in Block Island, we headed for Newport.
Newport=money. And LOTS of it.
We saw a couple of 200 ft personal boats. Puts our 18 ft boat to shame.
We were walking down a busy street when we noticed a woman being filmed. She was pretty, obviously someone famous the way people were staring. We had no clue who she was. I had to ask. It was Giana Delaurentiis. My first famous person siting, even though I had not clue who she was. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/giada_delaurentiis/0,1974,FOOD_10968,00.html

Besides having to get up at 3am and then having flight delays on the way home, we had an AWESOME trip.
Miles was mad at me for a couple of hours when we got home. He would not let me pick him up and would only go to Grandma. He actually stopped walking in the airport and turned to me, pushed me and kept walking. Heartbreaking kid! But he got over it really fast and we're back to one happy family!

I have pictures coming soon. It was an AMAZING trip.
We now have 6 states highlighted in our massive USA map in our room.
6 years!

4 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

I've been waiting for you to post! Oh Jen, I was thinking about you all last week when the rain was coming down, down, down. I was SO bummed b/c I knew you were on BI those 2 days. And yeah, ferry reservations are ALWAYS necessary. But you made the best of it so that's great! Can't wait to see pics. Glad you guys enjoyed.

Happy Anniversary!

9:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Glad you guys had a nice time. Did you check out any of the Newport mansions?

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

Welcome home. Maybe one day we'll make it to the East Coast!

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Erin, we did! AMAZING! We went into 2 mansions, but did the cliff walk, so we saw a lot of them. We toured the Vanderbilt's and then one more, the Elms I think? Sound familiar?

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home