The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Yellow

I heard through the grapevine that Greg, the yellow wiggle was not going to be preforming with the wiggles anymore due to a health scare.
I was sad for him, but didn't think much about it.

I got a call from my sister who relayed the message from her fiancé that he was glad to hear that Greg was gone. He's sometimes jerky about kid things. He's not a father, no nieces or nephews (besides my kids-soon to be their uncle) and he's never been around kids.

I got curious and started doing some research.
My research lead me to the wiggles home page.

The Wiggles

I then read yesterdays press release about Greg's decision to leave and exactly what is wrong with him. If it wasn't sad enough, Greg recorded a personal message regarding his decision to leave complete with handing over his yellow 'skivvy'.

I'll admit it. I cried listening to him.
I have a mother with a chronic disease that affects her balance, walking and basically life. It too isn't life threatening, but affects her everyday.

If I could ever say anything to Greg, it might be a little something like this.

At first, the idea of watching the Wiggles was not something I was too keen on. I got the videos for Logan anyway and of course learned all the words and actions by heart.
Logan was hooked. I was hooked. As embarrassing as this is for him, Dave was hooked.
Along came Miles.
Ahhh...Miles.
Mr. Never Content.
I introduced Miles to the wiggles soon after he turned one.
Amazingly enough, when the wiggles were on, he wasn't crying.
Soon, he was doing the motions with the wiggles.
When he was crabby, I'd sing songs that I of course had memorized many years earlier.
It calmed him down like nothing before.
If the TV is on a time out, we'll turn on the wiggles CD.
He stands there, right next to the CD player memorized by the words and music.

To me, the Wiggles are not some band full of flakey men.
They got the 'gay' card thrown at them many times, even when some of them got married and had children.
To me, the wiggles have been my sanity.
Logan is 5 and while he doesn't request to watch them anymore, he'll happily listen to the songs on the radio and even join Miles in watching the video at times.

Greg may be a bit eccentric, but he's the voice of the band.
You know, when you have kids, young kids, you sort of lose a bit of your adult enjoyments.
Sure, I love DMB, but honestly I listen to the wiggles more than I listen to Dave.
You could call me a fan I guess.

I'm sad to hear that Greg is so sick that he couldn't just take time off, but literally passed the torch on to someone else.

I'm sure Sam, the new yellow, will do a great job, but he'll never be the real yellow wiggle.
I wish Greg and his family the best, and I hope that he can find a way to make his symptoms not take control of his life.

------------
Written while the Wiggles are on my TV right now!
Ahoy there me hardies!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was sad to hear that news as well. And for what it's worth if you go by time clocked listening to certain music I apparently love Mickey Mouse and the Wiggles more than DMB and Jimmy Buffett.

9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home