The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Sleep walking has taken a new turn

Logan has been sleepwalking for the better half of 2 years.
Years.

I recall talking to his doctor at his 4 yr appt, but part of me thinks it was his 3 year.
Regardless, it's been a long time.

Some months he sleepwalks every single night. Some other months he won't sleep walk for 2 weeks straight, but then he'll start again.
Every time he goes nights without doing it we think he's done.

Last night I heard some noise upstairs, but it was the season premier of ER and there was only 5 minutes left and REALLY he only walks TO us, so I waited praying Neela wouldn't die! (she's the only reason I still watch). (stop it...I'm not a bad mother)

With 3 minutes left he stands at the top of our stairs (he's fine on the stairs people, no falling) with this goofy grin he only does when he sleep walks and just stares at me, smiling.

I get up to get him back to bed when he tells me that he was just looking for an apple.
An apple.
I lead him to his room when I notice that the floor is wet.
I look around, the room slightly bright from the hall light and notice a swirling pattern around his floor, on his night stand and in the hallway.

Pee.

He PEED in his sleep. Nowhere near the toilet.

I asked if he had wet underpants and he changed them, all while sleeping. I know for sure he was sleeping because then he crawled into bed, light on, and started snoring.

Dave and I cleaned up best we could, all with his light on while he snored away.

This morning he had no recollection what so ever and was extremely embarrassed by my accusations. Sweet boy.

Now, I did have a party last night, so I can't take the blame of putting him to bed without going to the bathroom. Of course that would have NEVER happened if I were home. ;o)

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I sleep walk as well...BUT if the arrangment of furniture changes, it takes about a month for me to sleep walk again and I only sleep walk when exteremly stressed now as an adult. I have been sleep walking since I was a baby as well.

While sleep walking I have been known to open doors, make phone calls, and eat food....I am quiet entertaining!

Came by way of TKW!

9:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your post previous to this one, but the end of it was missing, so I couldn't comment there. I agree with the person who suggested you tell the teacher about your son's diagnosis. As a teacher myself, it is absolutely crucial that the parents and teacher keep the lines of communication open, and that each party is informed of any factors concerning welfare and development, primarily for the well-being of your son. The teacher is naturally going to 'analyse' (for want of a better word) your son; it is his/her job to get to know the children they are caring for, and part of that is figuring out their behaviour. If a child has Asperger's then the teacher would be seeing behaviours associated with the condition, and, as it is early days and they're still obviously getting to know you, then, mark my word, he/she would be making notes on his file, and it's only a matter of time that he/she would be coming to you with his/her concerns. Imagine the confusion and lack of trust that would develop from there once all was revealed... I don't believe any good would come of you keeping this info from the teacher at all. Aspergers is a condition that teachers recognise very well, and it's not something you need to hide; a good teacher will work with your child, not against him, and your child will only benefit from the teacher's appropriate care and responses. And remember too, that your son has to live with this for the rest of his life; it is nothing to be ashamed of, and the sooner people (in a position of trust) are aware of his needs, then the better off he will be. All the best... D

5:05 PM

 
Blogger Me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

I was going to email, but I've lost your address, I think.
ANyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope that 2008 brings you many blessings!

9:11 PM

 
Blogger Me said...

ROTFL... I have 3 younger brothers so this sounds completely normal to me. My son even did this once as well, but my husband was still awake and investigated the noise only to save the corner wall and baseboard from becoming an impromptu toilet. ;)

My brothers would sleepwalk and think they were in the bathroom (usually their closet) until they were about 8 years old. I hope yours doesn't last THAT long! LOL.

1:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

6:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home