The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Saturday, July 17, 2004

hot and heavy...

Religion is not something my husband and I see eye to eye on.  It isn't something I've really pushed before in our relationship. Its just something that we differ on.  I married a science guy.  I, on the other hand don't need science.  I believe what I was raised to believe...what makes sense to me, even though it might not make sense.  Dave NEEDS it to make sense.
Sometimes we talk about it as like a debate.  Its fun, like before Logan when we were drinking and could REALLY debate with beer after beer!  I'm sure God would approve, right! :)
I'd state my side, and he'd be full of questions, and I'd answer them to the best of my knowledge.  You see, I was raised a Lutheran.  I attended a private Lutheran school from Kindergarden through 8th grade.  I had 16 people in my graduating 8th grade class. (I then went to a public highschool and became a heathen! hee hee)  There WAS a time where I was very confident in my bible knowledge.  I'm REALLY foggy these days.  God is someone I talk to on a regular basis, but I'm horrible when it comes to giving my time to God.  That is hopefully going to change as I am starting to go to church tomorrow.  Logan is almost 3, and has been to church 3 times.  His baptism, my Grandma's funeral, and Easter last year.  I want him to know God in his life, as I did. Plus, there is something so comforting about church.  Especially in a Lutheran church! We SING a lot! I LOVE to sing!  I love to hear the organ.  I love to leave with something to comtemplate after listening to the sermon.
Back to Dave.   He was raised a Catholic.  But, that doesn't make him a catholic. 
We had a conversation last night, which brought my over emotional pregnant self to tears.  You see, I would give anything for Dave to believe the same thing that I do, and know that no matter what happens in the after life, we'd be there together.  I'd give ANYTHING for that peace of mind.  Unfortunatly, I don't have that because like I said, Dave is a science guy.  He needs PROOF.
Heaven?, he asks,  Prove it to me.  Well, I tell him, when it CAN be proved to you, what if it is too late?  He believes that it will not be too late. He says he does believe in a God, but how can all the different religions have different Gods, and if they DO have different Gods, then who has the right God?  And if there IS only one right God, all the people who believe in all the other Gods, are they all going to Hell?
You see, my family is all lutheran. Daves parents are catholic.  Daves sister is Bahai' and her husband is Muslim.  That there gives him his point.  Not all of us are going to heaven because we believe different things?
And God has to realize that he created Science guys, and that they need proof to believe.  He told me alst nice, "once he says to me 'here's heaven' I'll say, 'OK!  Thanks for the proof!' and in I'll go".
I'm not so sure I believe that...really...I don't.
But, maybe he IS right!
And maybe I'm wrong!
The fact of the matter is, I love Dave so deeply that even when we are dead, I'd want nothing more than to spend the after life with him.  My fear is, what if I can't be with him!
I think this all stems from some dreams that I've been having lately, which you all will think I'm crazy, but you know, you may be right!
I'll post about them in my next post, I promise!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole religion debate.  And also, if you and your spouse believe in the same thing.
Oh, and a little pregnant news...Im 16 weeks today!  I'm in disbelief!  All of a sudden, I feel like this pregnancy is going WAY too fast!  I'm 4 weeks from being half way through in my last pregnancy. That makes me a bit sad in a way!  (No matter what the outcome of this pregnancy brings...not trying to be negative, just stating the fact....we are NOT going to get pregnant ever again)
I have to go in on Tuesday for my triple screen. I know this tests is very contraversial, but I'm all for knowledge and all the information that I can get from this little bugger right now.
I've got to go as my dad is 55 today (happy birthday dad) and his cake is in the oven! They are coming over for a grill out!
Happy weekend everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Dh and I were both raised Catholic, however, I believe, and he is unsure (also a science guy!). My brother and SIL are Lutheran--it's almost identical to Catholicism!

Anyway, I think that we are all worshipping the same God; we just may have different names for Him.

Happy Birthday, Jennifer's Dad!!

8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the anon...I dont have an account. I am a Chrsitian, involved with my church (nondenominational), read my bible several times a week, and pray through out my day. DH believes in God and the bible and knows more than I do about it but he doesnt share the faith like I do. I mean to know Gods in charge and has a plan. Its frustrating for me that he wont go to church with me but thats where it comes back to faith for me. I can not change him. All I can do is be a Christian wife and try and be an example. Its up to God to change DH, if thats how God wants him to be. I have only been a chrisitan for 6 years. Married for 11 so DH has seen the changes that have gone on with me.

7:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home