The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, January 31, 2005

To have a drink, or not...

When I got pregnant with my angel baby, I remember going out to eat with 2 friends and sharing the news that we were pregnant. Everyone had just ordered a round of drinks, and I got lemonade. I remember my friend asking if I felt ready to not have a single drink for next year, and I actually said, "no..." Not that I was a huge drinker mind you, just had one beer after Logan went to bed a couple times a week. Well, you all know how that pregnancy ended. A year and a half later when we finally got pregnant again, I was gladly ready to give up all forms of alcohol! I remember feeling happy the first night Dave got himself a beer and I couldn't have one. Dave himself really stopped drinking, only having a beer if we were out with friends or family.
I had no problems not drinking during the pregnancy. In fact, I had quite the number of occasions where having a few drinks would have normally been fun. 2 college friends weddings came up during my pregnancy, and many other small gatherings. I ENJOYED being the sober one.
I decided that maybe I was going to become my parents. They used to drink when they were young, but they haven't had a drink in almost 30 years.
I told Dave, I think I'll just quit drinking.
Since breastfeeding was a no-go (yes...still feeling horribly guilty about that one, so no negative comments needed) I could have had a beer or a glass of wine anytime within the last 3 weeks.
We had friends over for supper when Miles was 2 weeks old, and they all had a beer after dinner. Dave offered me one, and everyone thought it was funny when I said I wasn't ready to have any alcohol yet.
Maybe it was the after effects of being on all the drugs at the hospital and not feeling in control, or maybe it was because I had gone almost a YEAR without a drink.
I felt it had to be the right moment, and I had to be ready. Silly, huh? ready for a BEER!
Yesterday Dave and I made a pretty big purchase. We've been debating this purchase for months now, and finally decided to bite the bullet after being offered a good deal...

What do you think? I see many summer days and nights making many family memories together. Boys fishing with their daddy. Me making lunch and being in charge of sunscreen and the camera. I can't wait. Water fun!!
So, after we put Logan to bed, and Miles was sound asleep in my arms, Dave and I decided to toast our purchase with a beer. A Newcastle.
Hmmm...After a couple drinks, I must admit, I have no idea what I used to like about beer! It really wasn't good! I didn't even finish the whole thing!
We might have to try my favorite bottle of wine, and maybe I'll still have the tastebuds for that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

The boat is great!!! Congratulations!!! And cheers on the beer, or wine. Hey, have on for me, would ya??

So good to hear from you! Are you settling in more with the boys??

((Hugs))

9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jennifer. I seem to have stumbled onto your blog while I was searching for wholesale energy drink related sites. However, I am glad that I stopped by To have a drink, or not... because there was a lot of good stuff here. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and I hope that you will stop by mine sometime. Take care!

10:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog you have here! I am going to bookmark this one.

Play free online gamestoday at arcade queen

bowling arcade game freebowling arcade game free

Play until you drop but whatever you do don't let your boss catch you!

12:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home