The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Baby bootcamp is in session

The time has come my friends to stop the nonsense~as in the random schedule of Miles day. Today is day 3.
He cries when he's hungry/tired/bored/wet.
I guess I was being a bad mom to not be able to tell the difference or look for the cues he was giving me.
Like I said, I got the book 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and am taking it to heart.
I have started letting him nap ONLY in his crib. I must admit, its putting a damper on our daily adventures. I kindof feel bad for Logan. We started on Saturday, so it was really no big deal because Dave was home to take him on his errands or out to play, but today it is just me of course.
The book (and I think Dawnamarie, right?) points out that babies this age should only have wakeful periods of at the MOST 2 hrs. Many are around 1 hr, and a small group can't stay up for even 1 hr.
I decided to start a sleep log. All of this seemed so silly to me because with Logan it was a piece of cake!
It appears that Miles average wakeful period it 1hr 20min.
So, when the time comes where he is spacy-eyed, rubbing eyes, yawning, not in the mood to smile or play it is time for me to put him to sleep in his bed. Not waiting for him to cry, and luckily if I time it right there is NO crying! He is NOT in the swing/arms/bouncy as I was doing before. He needs to know that his crib is for sleeping and the other things are for playing.
We are now sortof getting on a schedule. Again, it sortof is a bummer because it will be hard to do a lot of things with Logan, but I can and will let him sleep in my sling if we go to the zoo or the library etc...
His official bedtime is now 7pm or slightly before.
He gets a bath, massage, bottle all starting around 6:30 and then straight to bed.
So far so good at the bedtime routine, however the 6+ hr stretch is shortening 30 min/day so far.
It started with 6.5-then 6-then 5.5-last night was 5. (then 3 and 4)
Seeing we used to hold him until 10pmish and feed him then, we're basically getting up the same each night and are still really tired, but I'm hoping we're making some progress.
A couple major positives are...
Logan's bedtime routine is potty/pj's/teeth brushed/3books and then tucked in. We were doing this all with a crying baby. It wasn't as loving and special as it used to be. It was rushed and loud leaving whichever parent not reading at the time to wait in the hallway trying to shhhh Miles.
Logan is going to bed easier and we both get to give him big hugs, which is always nice!
Another positive is that NO LATER THAN 8pm, Dave and I are alone to do whatever we want! Last night we had icecream and snuggled together watching Desperate Housewives. We then shared LAUGHTER before we went to bed. It was really nice to not go to bed irritated because I had had Miles in my arms all day. We're getting closer, Miles is getting the rest he needs, Logan is getting some much needed one-on-one...
So we'll keep doing what we're doing for now and see what happens. I'm hoping will all his napping in his crib he'll get more used to it at night??

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Oh, I've ordered the book and another one, "the No-Cry Sleep Solution" or something like that. I want a routine, too!!

I'm glad to hear that this is working out for you all. I imagine that the first week or so is the hardest. One day at a time...

(((Hugs)))

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

I am thrilled to hear things are working better for you guys. Calmer evenings will probably make a big difference for you. (Wasn't Desperate Housewives crazy last night?).
We're really luck that Liam goes to sleep pretty quickly after we put him down. But, he doesn't sleep through the night. After reading your earlier post, I thought maybe I should start the same routine. I haven't for selfish reasons. I don't get home from work until 4:30 so I wouldn't have very much time with him =(
Eventually we're going to have to get into a routine. I'll probably kick myself for not starting sooner.

3:28 PM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

Good for you! Yes a well rested baby is much more tolerable. I think when Aiden finally decided he wanted to sleep alone(around 4mos) he would some days sleep 5 hours and other days sleep 7, it was kind of back and forth for a while, but wouldn't nap in his crib. Now, naps are wonderful. I love nap time, he has 2 or 3, so I get 2 or 3 times a day where he's asleep for around 2-3 hours. But, we don't have a schedule. I can't live by a schedule, so I don't know that I should get him adjusted to one, only to get bored myself and mess it all up. So, definitely, as he gets more used to the crib, you'll have a hell of a time getting him to sleep anywhere else. I'm just glad you're only going for a better rested baby, and not trying to starve him all night(ha!)

5:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home