The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Each child is different

I don't know why I did it.
I opened Logan's baby book to see exactly what he was doing at this time sleep wise.
He would go to sleep at 7pm, we'd wake him for a 10:30 bottle and he'd sleep until 7am.
bleh!
So I thought we'd try to wake Miles right before we went to bed and feed him and then if God was smiling on us he'd sleep until 4am...no such luck.
6:45 ate...
7:00 bed
10:00 bottle
10:30 I went to bed dreaming of...hell...anything! DREAMS mean I'm sleeping!
12:30 Miles starts crying, I go give him his paci.
12:45 its obvious its not going to work, Dave gets up to feed him
4:15 Miles is up crying again...I go feed him
6:10 Miles is up crying AGAIN...
-----
Christine and Kether, you guys better not talk TOO much of your sleeping beauties or I'm going to have to come switch children for a couple nights! Not fair, your babes are younger than Miles! He should be teaching THEM how to sleep, no? *wink*

He's kicking our a** thats for sure! We think WE'RE in charge and he's laughing at us! Smart little cookie, don't you think?
I'm so exhausted guys.
We're debating starting the CIO method. I'm just not feeling ready for it. At all! Prime example. Nap time this morning. He was obviously tired and was crying and whining when I put him to bed. I tried to sooth with the paci, no deal. I left. I closed the door and felt like a horrible mom. I set the timer for 5 minutes and he cried the entire 5 minutes. I went in in 5 minutes and gave him the paci and he was asleep within 30seconds. But the crying killed me.
We did the CIO with Logan though, and it took 3 nights. THREE! It wasn't this horrible thing that I regret doing. Yeah, I'm sure that first night I felt HORRIBLE, but the next two he cried LESS than 5 minutes because I didn't even need to go in his room. (I went in every 5 min)
I don't know how I feel about this yet. I know he's physically big enough. He's over 16lbs on our scale. I'd be happy with a 6hr stretch every night and then get up for a feeding. I wouldn't mind that one bit. But he's waking up sometimes at 2 hrs, sometimes at 4.
BTDT Moms, I feel as if in all the sleep deprivation I've lost my logic on this matter. Can anyone give me sound advice? Is ANYONE sleeping out there?
**How could I forget to add...Carrie just may be in labor. Being over a week overdue, its about time! Go wish her your best!! :)**

8 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Dang, I was really hoping the book would help you (didn't help me, but was hoping it would be different for you). We tried CIO with Charlie, but he just wasn't/isn't a CIO kid. He lasted hours. But if you aren't ready, then it won't work, so don't try it until you are.

As for other advice...time is all I can say. I have yet to find the cure except for 8/9 months...that is when my kids seem to magically become sleepers.

Good Luck!

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Nonono I'm not bragging. I mean Liam does fall asleep pretty well, but he wakes up around 12 and four to eat and nothing but a bottle will do.
I'm *so* jealous of Maura and her sleep patterns. I would LOVE to sleep through a night. What David doesn't understand is that even if he does the bottle, that doesn't mean I'm sleeping.
I think maybe Melissa is right. Could you start some cereal?

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

PS you've been in my prayers re your fairy tale. When you have news on that end, let me know. are you feeling better about it?

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Denise, actually the book has worked WONDERS on some aspects! Especially day time sleep!
I was SOOOOO sick of grumpy crabby crying Miles and now that I am reading his signs and putting him to bed, he's turned into HAPPY SMILEY Miles!
Also, it made me understand the importance to an early bedtime....I guess I can't complain one bit about the book. Miles just has to figure out that sleeping really is a wonderful thing! haha!
Kether...um...yeah...still have that 'feeling' in my stomach. I'm 9dpo's I think. I'd take my temp, but seeing I'm up so much at night, I know I wouldn't get an accurate reading.
We'll see my dear! ;)
(But I'm again just overeacting! I'm sure of it!!)

12:52 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Ok, girls, Maura may be sleeping pretty well at night (I'm afraid to type that too loudly--I might jinx it all!!), but she's not sleeping much at all during the day (she did a bit better today), which makes for a crabby little girl! She literaaly cries, no, screams from about 7-9 every evening. The Happiest Bsby on the Block method helps, but she's still not smily, happy Maura!

And she's only slept 5-6 hours in a row for a couple of night now. I'm not conviced that it's a pattern yet!!

My books came today...I'm reading up now...

Oh yeah, I'm waiting for the ending tot hat fairy tale, too, Jen...

8:15 PM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

Can't say I agree with the cereal in the bottle thing to get them to sleep longer. I'm doing cereal in every bottle all day long because my son spits up so much, and it doesn't make him go any longer between feeds. Only reason he sleeps at night as well as he does now, is because he's 6 months old. Is sleeping with the baby an option? I suppose I never minded waking through the night to feed my son as he always went right back to sleep(once he figured out what night time was for) and slept for around 10-12 hours total(waking every 2-4 hours).
Now that I'm bottle feeding, I've found that the easiest way to deal is to keep the can of formula in the bathroom(which is right between my room and the baby's) and an empty bottle. Warm tap water and mix(teaspoon of cereal added) before I go get him, that way there is very very little stimulation for him and he either falls asleep while I'm feeding him, or falls asleep as soon as I lay him down. What position does your son sleep in? I found that the only way Aiden would sleep for long stretches(4+ hours) was on his belly. I know the whole sids risk stuff, but so far so good, and he sleeps wonderfully.

12:12 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I don't have any advice for you, but I have to admit that I am now really scared to have a second baby...LOL!

Alyssa seems a lot like Logan. She is a wonderful sleeper and has been since about 3 months. I told my husband that I don't think we will get so lucky the second time around.

10:57 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I can't say that I have any good advice, but just wanted to tell you that we are absolutely not sleeping either! just know you're not the only one up all night with a baby.

1:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home