The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Open up!

So, last night was the first time Miles has ever had food.
Yep, we tried Rice cereal.
Yep, I KNOW he was 3 days shy of his 4th month.
Yep, I know there are some reading this thinking, "I can't believe she did that already!!"
I know it all...Remember, I've done this before.
To each their own.
So, my thought was maybe my little almost 18lb tank needed some SUBSTANCE to help him sleep though the night! 2 nights ago it was 11:00pm, 1:30am, 4:00am. We just are having a god-awful time with sleep deprivation these days. Its not so much that we're tired, its that we're physically feeling the effects. I have headaches everyday lately, Dave has had a headcold for weeks that won't go away. I really think it is because our bodies need rest and we're not giving it rest. Dave has also been on call this week, so that meant at least 2 calls per night. So, we were up 5-6 times a night this week.
I'm so over just feeling tired, I could care less anymore. I just want my BODY to feel better.
So, I just decided to do it! No cameras or video. We'll do that tonight. Dave was playing with Logan downstairs and I was trying to clean the kitchen.
I made it really thin and gave him a couple bites.
Of course he didn't know what to do and looked at me like I was crazy! But honestly after like 5-6 spoonfuls he got it! He was mashing it around in his mouth and swallowing! He was opening his mouth when he saw the spoon come! He was anticipating every mouthful! Soon I couldn't get it in his mouth fast enough!
He LOVED it!
I loved watching him eat! It was so great! Dave came up and was so excited too. Don't think I make decisions like this without Dave. We've talked about it before, we just didn't know when we were going to start. I didn't even know if Miles would eat any, so I just did it. Remember, we've also got Mr. 3 1/2 yr old who would have taken over and made a huge mess. That can happen tonight!
After I gave him a nice long bath where he continued to kick away and of course pee on himself right after he was clean. Don't ya love it!
Got him in snuggly warm pj's and sat down in his dark room to feed him his last bottle for the night. He ate 5 oz.
So, cereal and 5 oz...warm bath...sleep LONGER right?
Wouldn't you think so?
I sure did! I thought so much that we watched a movie (In the nick of time...just OK) and didn't go to bed until 10:30 even though our kids had been in bed for 2 1/2 hrs. (we're losers who go to bed REALLY early, and we'll be this way until we can sleep though the night)
I drifted off in pleasant dreams of hearing Miles whimper and looking at the clock seeing 5am. I thought it could happen!
Pleasant dreams, warm, comfortable...
I hear the whimper...I slowly open my eyes with a happy thought in my head.
It was our first night of a long stretch of sleep! I just knew it!
Wait...what does that say?
Nah! Let me put my glasses on to be sure?
11:00??..pm..

Yep, only 4 hrs.
His next feeding was 2:30...Only 3 1/2 hrs
Then, he woke up at 6am...3 1/2 hrs.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

This boys sleep habits are really going to send us to the loony bin!
I'm becoming addicted to coffee. I used to drink 2 cups of 50% caffeine in the morning. That rose to 3 cups, then 3 cups full strength and NOW people its FOUR cups. FOUR CUPS of coffee every morning.
But what can we do but keep plugging away!
ONE day he must sleep though, and don't tell me of your baby who didn't sleep through until 18 months! I can't hear it right now.
I must keep the faith and we WILL sleep again?
And, whats with babies? Don't they realize how WONDERFUL it feels to lay in bed. If you wake up too early you just snuggle in and doze back off! I swear, sometimes sleep is bettet than SEX! These days it is for sure!! haha!
Ah...one day...(soon?)

10 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

awwww! I can't believe it didn't work. I'm glad he liked it, though!
I don't think you started too early. I tried a spoonful last week, just to see. He freaked out. So, none for us, though I do put a little in his bottle at night because he acts like he's starving. Doesn't make any difference in his sleeping.
I hope he figures out how good sleep is soon. I know you need sleep desperately.

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Denise said...

Each Mom has to do whatever feels right, right? Besides, if my mom could start me at solids at 6 weeks and I am still alive, it can't be too bad.

My ped always said that babies have the ability to sleep through the night at 12 (!!!) lbs (not that mine ever listened to her). Have you tried gradually watering down those night bottles, so he has a less full stomach? We did that with our oldest, and it worked pretty well. Granted, he was 9 mos old, so maybe he was ready. Anyway, was just an idea you could try if you were so inclined. Good luck, that sleep business is rough.

9:15 AM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Sleep is WAY better than sex.

At least for me, for now.

Bummer that Miles didn't fall for the "more gas in your tank" trick for sleeping. Sounds like a little party animal to me!!!

9:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont you know that feeding solids before the age of 6mths leads to a higher chance of allergies and obesity? But, your a 2nd time mom, so Im sure you know that.

He is a baby! Let him be exactly what he is. Babys are not convienent nor can they hold to a schedule that we want them to be on. He is still so young. Dont rush him growing up! Cereal feeding to make them sleep longer is just a old tale. If he wants to wake up to eat - feed him. He is a baby! As a parent you are not automatically allowed to get a full night of sleep just because he has reached the 4mths make or whatever.

I cant believe people suggested watering down bottles already! Yeah, maybe if he was close to one yrs old - the boy just wants to eat!

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

I just wanted to stop by and make sure you don't let "anonymous" (Who is a very poor speller, by the way) make you feel badly.
Miles is clearly ready or he wouldn't have taken to it so well. You know how to be a great mom. Take your cues from Miles, not anonymous people on the 'net. You probably didn't take [her] to heart, but it kind of stung when I read it.

7:53 PM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

I totally understand. Soon dear one, soon. We share much in the horrible sleeper baby department. But, we're up to 12 hours for a nighttime sleep, with 1-2 feedings per night. I have a very strict ritual. I first make the bottle, letting him cry in his bed. Then I pick him up, change him if necessary and sit on the side of my bed rocking the whole time he eats. This usually puts us at about 15 minutes of awake feeding time. He goes right back to sleep, and so do I. I swear I was up as much, if not more than you are now, 2.5 months ago. He's sleeping from 9pm until between 3 and 5, then until either 7 or 9, if he wakes at 7, he goes back to sleep until 9. I don't mind the getting up with him through the night, I really don't. It's not going to last much longer, that sweet night time baby sleepiness. They are so darn cute when they are half asleep looking at you with half closed eyes in adoration. I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible, because I can see that it's coming to an end. Oh, and adding cereal/food didn't do a thing to alter his sleep habits.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

I wish I had some wisdom for you, but if I knew the answer I would be rich and famous.

Wishing you some sleep soon!

7:04 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Thank you Kether...to each their own, right?
Oh, but I am on my way to blog about this right now! hee hee!
Thanks anon for the great idea for my next post! ;)

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I am so sorry for your still sleepless nights!

Our ped told us to start cereal at 4 months. And I know peds who have advised that at as early as 3.

You are right, to each their own and if Miles loves it and grasps the concept of eating, then go for it!!

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I feel for you on the lack of sleep. Right now our big problem is getting our little one to sleep on his own, not next to mom in bed.
Just remember even on bad days you have to tell yourself this will not last forever! It's only this short time in your (and his) life.

BTW, I wasn't totally surprised the cereal thing didn't work for getting him to sleep longer. Never did for our first one even though people swear by it.

1:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home