The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

giggles and beach balls

This morning, as I was pouring my first cup of coffee, I just sat and listened.
We have a half wall separating our livingroom and kitchen.
Neither of the kids could see me, but I could see them.
Logan was PLAYING with Miles.
Like...playing.
Crawling up to him and blowing up this little beach ball and then waiting for Miles to try to grab it and then quick backing up.
Miles was totally enjoying it, with this look of awe on his face.
Over and over, Logan giggling, Miles smiling a huge gummy grin and trying to move as fast as his big bro.
Yes, they have interacted many times before, but always with my start.
This time was all on their own.
It is so exciting to think of them playing together.
I think, someday I'll say, "Logan, Miles, Go play in your rooms!" or "Why don't you boys go play outside"
This is what it is all about.
This is what I thought about long ago when I didn't think we would be able to conceive.
It's happening right before my eyes.
It's changing in Logan's eyes from, 'the baby' to 'MY brother'.
His 'brother' is now 2 days shy of 8 months.
He's a pro at crawling, and can go from crawling to sitting and even pulling up to his knees on anything he can. He wakes up from his nap and grabs the bars and starts bouncing and throws his pacifier over the edge so I'll come in and get him RIGHT away.
He feeds himself anything he can. Some favorites are of course: cheerios, graham crackers, saltines, wheat bread, small pieces of cheese, and can't forget the gerber puffs.
I truly can't believe that he will be 1 yr old in 4 short months.
I look back at these 8 months and am really glad I blogged because I honestly don't remember a lot.
Sure, I remember lot's of sleepless nights, lots and LOTS (to this day) of tears and crabs, but the good things are what I want to keep with me always.
I know he's going to be something special. He's got a determination unlike what I've seen before.
'Dammit Mom, if this ear piercing level of screams doesn't make you put down that dinner spoon, pick me up and stop cooking, let's try THIS level. Oh, that doesn't work? What if I search the livingroom for the ONE small toy that Logan left on the floor. LOOK MOM! I'M PUTTING IT IN MY MOUTH!! I'M NOT KIDDING! HERE...IT...GOES! MOM!!!
yeah, thought that would work!"

Days are long when Dave has to travel for a week at a time. This is one of those weeks. Today, that short 2 minutes worth of play that I watched made me feel so good. So happy. It's so great being a mom.

Speaking of long days when Dave is gone.
I seem to have this habit of trying to find as much as I can possibly do to cram fill the days so the week goes by quicker.
Each time I think, WHY did I plan SO much? I'd rather sit back and sip coffee all day.(um..someday I think I'll blog about my coffee addiction)
This week, I painted our kitchen(2 coats) (I'll post pics! I LOVE it), painted LOGAN'S room (2 coats) had my MIL come and help me apply a border in his room. (actually, little dude was NOT happy that we were doing something other than playing with him, so the night was particularly full of tears. I basically took care of Miles and SHE hung 80% of the wallpaper)
Not to mention Logan's preschool orientation, a book party, closing a different huge book party (yay$$$) and all the other things that go along with the day.
Yep, my house has turned into kid zone and no laundry is done, but the walls are painted and Dave comes home tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its so sweet to see siblings interacting together. I am always saying "boys,go play outside" Boys,why not play in your rooms"
I love moments when you get to watch your kids and they don't know you are watching.

4:54 PM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

OMG, it is so funny you posted this b/c Peanut and The Duckling were playing and interacting for the first time today too! I just told B about it at dinner!

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Oh this is so sweet!

I tend to do tons of stuff when Dave is gone, too. In fact its when I get most of my closet organizing, etc done. I think I do it to make the time go faster until he comes home. Since he leaves so often you'd think my house was super organized, eh? yeah..uhm...

8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home