The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Mommy guilt

As a mother, I feel I am expected to be at the top of my game at all times.

If you work outside of the home, as my husband does, some days you can have a slacker day, some days you work really hard. (Not that all of you have slacker days, mind you)
Then again, if you're a mother working outside of the home you also have the 'I worked really hard' and then have to come home and work even harder. Kudos to you all.

Yesterday was Mothers day. The day of all days. The day where one, as a mother, should be treated like a queen. Feet up, breakfast in bed, yada yada yada.

My husband tried. He gave me a happy mothers eve with a nice bottle of wine and a movie. Sounds simple, but we never rent movies. He even gave me a beautiful rose.
He let me sleep in a bit on Sunday while he and the boys went bagel shopping.
It was a joyous beginning to the day.
I started sipping my yummy coffee when it began.
The crying.
Nicely enough Miles thought to wait until I woke up to start crying. He let me sleep in, isn't that nice?
The crying lasted until he went to have his first nap.
After his morning nap we all headed off the the health club to play some basketball (aka-I run around and keep Miles out of other people's hair while Dave shoots some hoops)
When Miles had had enough of that, we went to the soccer field. What 1 1/2 yr old doesn't like to kick balls around all morning, right?
Wrong.
Here started crying jag number 2. It went on and on and on for a good 45 minutes until I decided that I had seen enough of Logan and Dave running around having a good time while I tried to console crying Miles.
*Oh, and before you think that Dave should have stepped in, it doesn't work that way. Had he come and stepped in, Miles would have screamed even louder because I wasn't next to him. I'm like the oxygen he breaths. If I'm not there he can't survive. Literally.*
I'm sure the men in the weightroom straight across the way were happy to hear me say,
"Let's go!!!"
We then went home for some lunch, where Miles continued to cry the rest of the morning until nap.

Then I started crying.

I just don't understand how one can be so unhappy so often.
Anyway.
Dave asked what I wanted to do in the afternoon.
Do you know what this bad mother said?
"Go take them to your moms to celebrate"
Dave understood completely.
He told me to scrapbook. Do you know what I did?
I spent the afternoon full of guilt with tears on and off.
What horrible mom doesn't want to spend mothers day with her kids?

When they came home 2 1/2 hrs later, I proceeded to give the boys a bath and enjoyed every second of it. I felt rejuvinated and calm. I felt sad that I sent them away.
I put Miles in his snuggly jammies and when it came time to put him in his crib, he grabbed on to my shoulders and put his head down on me. He stayed this way for a good 2 or 3 minutes as I rocked back and forth telling him how much I loved him. It was a moment I'll lock away.
I got Logan in his jammies that he is totally outgrowing. His size 6 jammies are now capris. I looked at him, smelled his clean hair, rubbed his soft cheeks. I looked at his hands. There are knuckles where the dimples once were.
His feet are getting so big.
I told him that I felt very special today because I was his mommy.
He kissed me.
I locked it away.

Motherhood is so hard. Sometimes it is the best feeling I have ever had, and sometimes I just want to have some quiet time. Sometimes I want the moment to never end, and sometimes I want mother #2 to walk in and take over.

My neighbor once joked that all parents need backup parents when the going gets tough. Luckily, I have that with Dave.
He understood, he made me feel better, and I forgave myself.

Yesterday had moments that were amazing, and moments that were just tough.
I guess that was the perfect most realistic mothers day, right?

10 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Girl... EVERY Mom knows the BEST Mother's Day's ever are the ones where Daddy sneaks out in the morning with the kids and let's Mommy sleep... and stays away all day long (having already told his wife this was the plan) and then shows up around dinner time with dinner and flowers. ;)

A day of SILENCE is all any Mom really wants. LOL.

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Kari said...

No one said Motherhood was easy! *hug*

4:45 PM

 
Blogger Tonya said...

Hi Im new to your blog and just wanted to say I was touched by your post.. Everyone needs a break now and then.. that is just natural and all moms want to break down now and then .. Glad you felt better later :)

5:36 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

I'm glad that you got some time to yourself. There is no reason to feel guilty. Remember that absense makes the heart fonder.

Your goodnight moments with your boys were so sweet. Sounded like the perfect ending to Mothers Day.

6:31 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

Oh, my I can relate. My oldest didn't cry as much as my youngest does, and sometimes I just want to get away. It's not that we don't love our children, we do, but everyone needs a break once in a while, including moms. I don't know about you, but that crying sound really gets to me after awhile. I feel guilty for even saying that.
You're a good mom. You know that.

10:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears here! You said it so perfectly. Thank you for this!

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

I think that what you said was perfect!! And I think that we do need break's even on Mother's Day. Just because it's Mother's Day doesn't mean that we shouldn't have some time to ourselves.
I wish my DH would have taken mine somewhere for just an hour!!! LOL

It isn't easy being a mother...I so agree with that.

HUGS

5:06 PM

 
Blogger suzspeaks said...

what you said is so true. I feel it too. I feel guilty too. I feel like all I want is to be alone. I feel like all I want is to be with him.....Oh, MOtherhood!~

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

That is motherhood, I'm finding. Guilt seems to find mothers whereever they are. No matter what their choices are, we always think there could have been a way to have done things better.
This post was so true, and I hope you hold on to those bedtime moments, because there's where the meat of this story is. You are a good mother who loves very deeply.
Happy belated mother's day.

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Odd Mix said...

Sounds to me like you and Dave are a great team. And I would say the guilt is baseless - not with kids who obviously love thier mother like yours do.

2:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home