The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Protection

You remember how I said that Logan has been asking hard to answer questions lately? An example: What planet is Heaven on?
Well, it seems to have gone from humorous to really hard to answer.

I once read that if a child has a family member who is dying, that if the child is under the age of 5 they don't understand fully that death is forever. But once that child is 5-7yrs old, they understand the finality of death.
I think Logan started a bit early.
I think the death of his fish really started it.

Death is on his mind lately. I know it must just be because he doesn't quite understand and wants to understand. He wants to understand all aspects of death. He wants to know if it hurts the animals when people go hunting. He wants to know if it hurts the ant that gets stepped on.
He wants to know if he were to die, where would he go and what would it feel like. He tells me through teary eyes that if he died, he would miss me. (THEE hardest thing I've had to listen to him tell me...ever)

Now, I'm a Christian, so I of course answer the question with details about heaven and what it might be like. (because I of course know, right?)
I try to change the subject as best as I can, but let him also ask questions.

The hard part is not being able to protect him from the TRUTH. The truth about something so hard. The truth about death.
Dave told me something last night that he didn't want to tell me.

Logan was talking about death and then all of a sudden he said, "But what if MOMMY died?!" and started crying. Then he went on about how sad he would be and how he would miss me. He was crying pretty hard that Dave actually had to hold him. Usually he rebounds quickly and wants to coddling.

Imagine what you might feel when you hear your little boy was crying because he was afraid you were going to die.

It's all about death lately. The police carry guns so they can shoot the bad guys and keep us safe. I TRY TRY TRY to make him understand that the police don't want to carry guns. They wish there were not 'bad guys'. (another hard thing to talk about seeing 'bad guys' don't look bad)

I'm ready to go back to the easy days where we didn't have such heavy topics on our minds.

7 Comments:

Blogger graymama said...

{{{{hugs}}}}

Quick response:

Good picture book about death written for children is The Next Place

Good way to talk about "bad guys" so children know they could be anyone is to talk not about people as bad or good, but that sometimes people make bad choices

HTH :-)

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Aww, hearing Logan get upset about you dying brought tears to my eyes.

I don't have any advice, but I am thinking about you. Post if you find anything that help explain this kind of stuff, because I believe I am going to have that kind of inquisitive girl on my hands in a couple years.

10:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man. That's tough. It made me cry just reading about it.

I think the best thing you can do is go with your gut and be as simple and honest as you can. Even when that means saying "I don't know."

But then, I haven't been where you are yet.

11:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

**big hugs**
Empathy is a wonderful thing but tear jerking in certain times...

It's time, yet again, for the RFS Blog Awards so go nominate!

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes...

3:27 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

Wow, what a toughie. I can't remember at what age I understood death (actually, do I understand death now?)

3:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man I am not looking forward to that phase. Yuk.

8:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home