The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Because I don't have enough to do...

I used to be a pack rat.
I thought I might need EVERYTHING someday.
Turns out, I never really needed all of the things I thought I would need.
It's operation recycle.
I thought I wanted a garage sale again this year, but really, it's a lot of work for a couple hundred dollars.
I think this year I'll donate my old clothing and baby gear/goods to a women and children center around here. I'll get a receipt and then instead of getting cash after a long hard weekend, I'll get it back in taxes.
I guess I'll feel better about it too, which is a good thing.

I have this habit of saving each and every magazine that comes to me for some reason. I mean, it has done me good in a way. When I was pregnant with Miles, I would re read all of the parents magazines that I saved from Logan. Then it got to a point where I got so sick of reading the same things over and over. I still have a bookshelf in my bedroom that must have 200 magazines in it. I have Parents, Vegetarian Times, Better homes and Garden, Shape, Runners World, Kraft (which if you don't get this, you SHOULD! It's FREE!) and many other odds and ends that I got along the way. Most of these I would save simply for the recipes.
I'd go through and think, ah! I'll make that one day!!
But who was I kidding! I'd never find that recipe again in the 200+ magazines I have!!

So, my job to focus on in my spare time this month is going through ALL of my magazines. I'm going to cut out each and every recipe I will use, and can the rest of the magazine. I will never use any beef or pork ones, so that takes away half! It will be a strange feeling, bare empty shelves that once contained hundreds of magazines. But really, who needs 200 magazines?

I'm going to cut out the recipes and make my own cookbook.
200+magazines down to one book.

Anyone in the market for a bunch of parents magazines? ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Yes, I know about saving amagazines too. I kept thinking I'd hav the time to go back through to find the article or recipe I wanted---it never happened.
Now I dump them after a few months.
And I don't read the parent mags anymore.
Happy Cleaning!

2:28 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

How funny! I used ot save my Parents magazines, but after not getting pregnant for so long, I threw them all in the recycling bin. I'm sure the garbage man was cursing me under his breath! At any rate, I am presently getting rid of the clutter. You will feel so good! Oh, and NOW I barely have time to read the magazines that come to my house each month. Good luck with the cleaning!

9:18 PM

 
Blogger suzspeaks said...

Ha! THat is on my list to do too! I save them for the same reason! I always check the recipe section of every magazine first! i tear the pages out & save them. Now I have a huge stack of tear outs that need to be gone through! too bad we don't live close - we could have a magazine party!!

10:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
There's an ad for formula on your blog. Just thought you might want to know! (Don't often see artifical milk advertised on a mommy blog...perhaps you didn't know it would be there?!)
S

3:15 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for the heads up Sarah.
It's google adsense. I don't pick which ads go up, nor can I change them if I don't agree with them.
However, this mama doesn't care if there would be a formula or breastmilk ad.
To each their own!
Thanks for stopping by!

9:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally used to have that same habit! I hate throwing out perfectly good magazines, but what am I going to do with them?! Good luck with the project...oh, and I have to tell you I've been thinking about you a lot lately since I've found myself searching high and low for pacifiers a lot lately!! Damn troll must've found our house, too. :)

8:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home