The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, April 10, 2006

or forever hold your peace

You may recall many many months ago I was a bit surprised that Miles wasn't babbling yet.
It slowly developed, but has hit a lull. Is it a lull if it's been quite a few months?
Anyway, at 12 months I called our Birth to Three to talk about Miles speech after the doctor told us he wanted Miles to be able to say one word AND either mama or dada (with knowledge of term).
We decided to forgo anything after the first visit because he was way above average on physical. I think at 12 months he did a few things they don't even look at until 16 months.
When it came time for cognitive, he understood EVERYTHING, but didn't speak. She said that they average them all together to see how much of a delay there is. THEN if it is under a certain amount he'd qualify.

Miles had his 15 month checkup recently. Our doctor asked if he was saying 6-12 words.
Um. no.
We're still waiting for the first word.
Our doctor said that he'd give Miles until 18 months to start talking or he'll want him evaluated. He said that we could go ahead anytime we wanted. He said sometimes toddlers get stuck on a few sounds and have a hard time getting past them.
Miles has two syllables that he says, 'ba' and 'da'.
He also ahh's and blows raspberries etc... Oh, and you know he's really good at crying. ;)
The thing is, I know he understands everything.
I can tell him to go get his shoes and he does. I tell Logan to get his coat on and Miles brings Logan his coat.
I ask if he wants peas and he shakes his head no.
I ask if he wants a graham cracker and he'll laugh this impatient laugh as he walks to the pantry door.
He's got it all inside, he just can't seem to get it out of his mouth.

I'm not worried about him not talking, but I've never heard anyone say that children can get stuck on sounds and have problems going from there. I'd say Miles is definitely stuck. It's always been 'ba' and 'da'.
I've yet to hear mama, even in babble.

I know he'll talk. I just hope he does soon!
How nice it will be when he can say, milk, more, mama, eat, etc....
Now I just go through all of those and wait for the inpatient giggle.

-----------
On a side note, does anyone who knows Kether notice how she just always has the right things to say? It's amazing what she says sometimes.
I was reading a from the heart post from a fellow blogger and read her reply and was amazed. I'm always amazed by her responses.

13 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

I agree, Kether is great! :D

Isn't it normal for babies who are above average physically to be behind verbally and vice versa?

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

That makes total sense Amie. Logan didn't walk until 15 1/2 months, but had a TON of words by now!
Real understandable words.

9:30 AM

 
Blogger graymama said...

I was a special ed teacher for about 7.5 years.

A great book is "Beyond Baby Talk: From Sounds to Sentences-A Parent's Complete Guide to Language Development" written by Kenn Apel PhD, CCC-SLP and Julie J. Masterson, PhD, CCC-SLP

Also, reading this babycenter answer to a mama with an unspeaking 18-month-old might make you feel a little better, too.

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/toddler/toddlerdevelopment/6893.html

And, my 21-month-old little Buddy doesn't say much either, but understands quite a bit. Every once and a while something comes out of his mouth that makes sense, and surprises all of us :-)

9:45 AM

 
Blogger graymama said...

The link was cut off. The end of it is

toddlerdevelopment/6893.html

9:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I waited almost 2 1/2 years to hear my baby call me mommy. It's so freaking hard. Tommy always understood everything too, was way ahead with motor skill (crawled at six months, pretended to read a book at 10 months, new ABC's by pointing at 18-20 months, etc.)
But he still can't answer a question, nod his head, say yes, etc. Tomorrow we go for his evaluation.
But it is still so early with Miles. He may wake up tomorrow and never stop talking until you are begging him to stop.

10:53 AM

 
Blogger Christine said...

I just emailed Kether about the very thing. She always knows the exact thing to say. What a talent, huh?!!

It sounds like you're getting some good advice here already, and I don't have much to contribute. But I know that Miles will start talking away before long, and I can't wait to read your posts about all he has to say!

((Hugs))

12:50 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

Good luck with Miles. He may just surprise you one day!

4:29 AM

 
Blogger Me said...

I know someone always 'knows someone' that had the same thing happen, etc. but what the heck... I'll tell ya even if you don't want to know.

A friend of the family had a second child. A little girl. Smart as a whip, but didn't want to talk. Wouldn't talk. ADORABLE child. Angelic looking. Her big blue eyes spoke plenty!

Understood everything... but wouldn't talk. Not a word.

Everyone fretted. Everyone went nuts trying to get Amanda to talk.


When the child was THREE she walked up to her Mom and said a sentence. (I forget what it was, but it had something to do with her having just jumped in a big puddle outside)...

a FULL SENTENCE.

When they asked her WHY she didn't talk before she told them; "I just didn't want to."

Amanda is now 19 years old and a smart, beautiful, wonderful kid! :)

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Stop it. You guys make me blush.

I think Liam is saying "Da" for dog and he says Bye and Hi but that's it. He knows what we are talking about, but he doesn't say mama or anything like that. I'm so lazy. I got out all my old child language acquisition books to read up on it, but I haven't.I keep telling myself I have to read up before Liam's 15 month like I'm cramming for a quiz--cause I have a feeling the doctor will ask.

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

You could try some signs with him in the mean time.

7:52 PM

 
Blogger PeppyPilotGirl said...

I'd suggest trying sign language too. The stats I've heard on it say it eases children's frustration greatly and builds a larger vocabulary more quickly when they do begin to talk.

That's interesting about the physical vs. verbal development. Might explain why my 7 month old hasn't rolled over yet - in either direction.

Hang in. This too shall pass and then you'll probably, at some point, wish he would *stop* talking! ;-)

8:47 PM

 
Blogger Misti said...

you got me thinking and T doesn't say 6-12 words.
G didn't mutter a sound untill after his nd birthday. I hope Miles surprises you soon.

12:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, very true about Kether! She definitely has a way with words.

As for Miles' language acquisition, it's not uncommon for receptive language to develop sooner than spoken, and I highly recommend trying some basic signs with him. It's amazing what they can say when given the venue.

A friend lent me a book on baby signing, and it's a great way to get going with some signing if you're interested. Here's a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401902901/sr=8-7/qid=1144858513/ref=pd_bbs_7/104-2238496-2143959?%5Fencoding=UTF8

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home