The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Will I ever be satisfied?

OK, I'll admit.
I have had a million jobs. More jobs than someone should have had at the age of 24. I stopped working right around my 24th birthday. I was 30 weeks pregnant with Logan, and I got laid off of the teacher's aid position at the public school district.
I could have applied for other positions, but I was pretty sure I was going to stay home anyway.
I had preterm labor issues, so we decided to make a clean break.
So, now it's been 5 years.
After highschool, I spent a year and a tri-mester in college thinking I was going to be an elementary school teacher. (I'm really glad I didn't go that route)
I met Dave who lived in a different state and decided that I was going to quit that route and get my cosmetology license.
I spent a little more than a year in cosmetology school. Which, btw, is a full time job. It's not like you have classes at a certain time and you go in here and there. When you are in cosmetology school, you are there M-F from 8:00am-5:00pm and Saturdays 8:00am-12:00pm.
I then held a part time job every day after work as a receptionist at a big salon.
When I graduated, I cut hair for a few years, but decided that I really DID want to be a teacher, but couldn't go back to college. I got an awesome aid position. I worked in a kindergarten class with a teacher who was about to retire. She let me be the teacher mainly.
I LOVED it.
That lead me to the layoff and new job as a full time mom.

Since I've been at home, I've done a few things here and there.
I did Avon for about 9 months or so. When I realized that I was making like $10 a catalog, but spending it on stuff that I didn't need, I decided that I would stop.
I also did home parties with Usborne books. That was fun, but my main goal was to get as many free books as I could. I got a TON of books...Awesome books...for the kids.
The thing is, when parties with my small circle of friends, and THEIR small circle of friends died down, I really didn't want to go market myself.
I was happy with the free books I got and decided to close that chapter.
Then came the idea for our business.
I love doing that! It has been getting lots of fun attention and we're selling shirts! We've got a huge baby expo that we're going to be involved in in September. We're going to be featured in a New Zealand newspaper and our shirts will be in an actual store in NYC.
It's going better than I would have thought.
AND it's great because I have been in charge of everything. It's a great accomplishment!

Dave and I were talking about what I wanted to do with my life someday. He jokes that I don't HAVE to go back to work until he retires at age 50. Then he wants me to work for at least 10 years so that we have insurance. Not a bad trade off!!
The thing is, I'm getting really eager to have something in which someone gives me a job and expects me to do it. I want responsibility. I want respect.**
This of course is not a new thing for me.
The problem is, is I don't know whether I would be happy working part time (I wouldn't work full time, at least right now) or if I would regret it and miss my kids too much!

Then comes the whole, what will I do with my life when the kids go to school.
I know some of you know that I'd like to get into the nursing field.
Heck, if I could turn back time, I would have studied harder when I was younger and went into the medical field. But, we all know you can't turn back time.

For those SAHM's, so you ever get in this slump? Especially those of you who actually have left a 'career'? I didn't really do that. I didn't go to school for 4-6 years after highschool. I didn't leave a field that I couldn't just pick up when I chose to.

I'm sure this too shall pass. And I'm sure I'm not alone.


**I know I have respect. I as well respect other SAHM's, OK?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I think that is fabulous your business is growing. Way to go that is an awesome accomplishment!

I am still trying to figure out what the heck I am going to do. I am 25 and going back to school in the fall full time, still no kids, who knows, I have no idea what I am going to do! Good luck!

10:54 AM

 
Blogger Me said...

I think your t-shirt business is awesome and if that takes off like it sounds like it is, then you probably won't have to ponder this question any longer! :)


PS:
I worked outside the home until the first two kids were 3 and 1. Then I quit working and became a full time Mom. I did that for 11 years (and added another baby). Went back to work about 1 1/2 years ago after 11 years at home.

I have a great job now but I STILL don't know what I want. I too started out wanting to teach... changed my mind... went to something else... thought about going back to teach... but didn't want to go back to college. LOL.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. ;)

12:46 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I was an elementary school teacher; mainly taught 4th grade. I always thought I would work outside the home, my mom did. After deciding that even though I loved the kids and my job, my heart was at home with my son.

My boys are now almost 4 and 14 months. There are days that I long to go to work. To have a schedule, routine, and just something that is for me. Everything I do seems to be for the boys or my husband. I know that I will not go back to teaching, telling you the reasons would take too long!, but I'm not sure what I want to do. What I think I want to do requires my to go back to school and get my masters which will be hard with the boys as well as expensive. Then I have a day with the kids where I think 'If I were at work right now, I would have missed this'. So you're not alone.

Your t-shirt business looks cool! Are you going to be at the baby expo in Chicago?

1:36 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

We have sort of opposite posts today.

I'm so so so happy about the business. I've got to take a pic of Liam in his shirt. We love it!

3:03 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I was all itchy and anxious when we were still in Stepford and thought it was because I was ready to get into the new house, etc.

Nope, turns out I want some mental stimulation and extra cash. Too bad everything I am qualified to won't even pay for daycare for the kids...

You should just sit back and watch the cash from MiloBaby roll in, sister!!

10:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home