The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Pale is the new tan

OK, I'll admit it. There is no such thing as too much sunscreen in this house. The higher the SPF, the better.
My kids know, BOTH of my kids know that they do not go outside with out the sunscreen.
Logan has come up with a fitting term.
He does a little karate move and announces in his coolest 'bad guy' voice: "Invisible shield...Check!"

I lather them up so good they have a slight tint of white at all times in the summer.
I've heard that you should imagine a shot glass full of sunscreen and apply that much.
I do that and more.
I never wait more than an hour to re apply.
If they get dropped off at a grandparents house, I always bring the sunscreen and remind them before I leave to put it on. If I call to check up on them, I always add, 'don't forget sunscreen'

It is my LIFE GOAL to prevent a single solitary sunburn in their entire childhood life. I know I'll not have control when they get older, but hopefully because of my diligence, they'll not be stupid.

Now, I wasn't always so bright. Well, I guess I was pretty bright. I have had way more than my fair share of sunburns.
Scalding blistering burns. Sunburns that hurt like a....well, you know.
Being a red head-full with freckles and fair skin, I've not been as lucky as most when it comes to tanning.
I've really never been tan except that time I went in the spray on booth. That was fun and all until I started looking like I had leprosy when it starting coming off my feet and hands.

I once heard that having ONE blistering sunburn can increase your skin cancer chance by 50%.
I don't fair so well in that category.
I don't think there was such a thing as sunscreen in my home growing up.
Here are some great facts if your interested...

I put on just as much on myself than I do on my kids. When we're out in the boat, I'm always thinking I forgot some place on my body so I'm ALWAYS adding more.
I use the same SPF as the kids.

Dave prefers a lower SPF, and he's got that lucky tanning ability. Although I also read on one of those links that I posted that some doctors look at tanning as the body's reaction to injury.

Don't get me wrong, I like a little color. I like it when my freckles 'pop' so that I look a little sun kissed.
What I DON'T understand is when people who shall remain nameless...(my sister) goes out with NO sunscreen. NONE.
She lathers up the kids and goes out to get burned.
She's a fellow redhead, just not one that burns as easily.
She's still fair skin/freckled.
She's still back in the belief that tan is 'in' and the more she roasts herself and the more burns she gets the tanner she'll become.
This coming from someone who's soon to be husband's mother (did you catch that?) had melanoma.
Smart, ey?

So, I think I'm going to be purchasing this shirt, what do you think.

6 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I think back to when we would lay in the sun slathering on BABY OIL. LOL.

In my 'old' age now I've started using the sunless tanning lotion instead of the real thing... who can tell? NO ONE! They make it so good these days.

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

My fiance refuses to wear sunscreen. He says he 'never burns'. And he proves himself wrong EVERY TIME.

8:04 AM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Oh, I want that shirt too!

I am the same way with the sunscreen! There really is not excuse for sunburns anymore.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Simone said...

I'm so glad you are so smart about the whole tanning thing. I was not so smart growing up in Miami-at the beach EVERY weekend using only SPF 6. I had many burns. Now I am always putting on the SPF 50 when going out. I go to the dermatologist twice a year for a skin cancer screening since BOTH my parents had melanoma. It kills me when I see people baking out in the sun at the beach and the park. Do they think that somehow they are immune to getting skin cancer? No one is. My Dr told me she has even had African American patients with melanoma! What so many people don't realize is that a bad mole isn't just removed and then gone, the cancer can get into your blood stream and then you are really screwed.

I wish everyone were as smart as you. Good job!

8:53 AM

 
Blogger Anne said...

While you're at it, get a t-shirt for your sister that says, "Get a tan. Or die trying."

9:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a freckled redhead, mom of a redhead, I'm with you 110%. I am 100% for being white 12 months out of the year.
On vacation with my family my 2 nephews got bad burns on the beach, and I freaked out. My sister forgot to put sunblock on them! I was like, what are you doing??? Are you crazy???
Anyway, good for you with the sun block. It's been 95 degrees here and I won't even take my kids out until late afternoon.

6:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home