The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Good people doing good things.

I heard two stories this weekend that I had to share with you.

We all know of the wacko's at Westboro Baptist Church, right? You know, the one's who protest fallen war hero's because they believe that it is God's punishment for America being tolerant of gay's. At least that is what I believe their reasoning is. They're all just a bunch of messed up people though. I'm sure that God would like them to PROTEST a funeral. Yes, God is punishing the world by sending these men and women to heaven.
So when Dave told me about the Patriot Guard Riders, I couldn't help but be amazed. Then, when I saw some pictures, I couldn't help but shed some tears.
This motorcycle 'gang' goes to the funerals and stands as a block between the family and the protestors. They are there to respect the family and the fallen hero. Many of them are past veterans.
If I have learned on thing from my dad, a Vietnam Vet, it's that it doesn't matter what age you are, what color your skin is, where you are from, what your past was like, once you are in the military, you are a brother. So, obviously having a father who is not only a Vet, but also a Harley rider, I see him there. I imagine him respecting and honoring those men who died just like many of his friends did.

On the subject of good people doing good things.
This weekend, my dad was out to breakfast. As I stated earlier, he's a Vietnam Vet. Drafted when he was 19. Sent to Vietnam just a week after he married my mom. He lost most of his fellow soldiers in one day. He was lucky. He's had a hard recovery from the war, even 36 years later. He went into PTS program for veterans last year for 9 weeks.
He's always felt different. He remembers getting spit on when he returned from the war. He remember the alcoholism that plagued him when he got back. He remembers losing his best friend, in his arms, along with the rest of the men he couldn't save. He remembers wondering why he made it when so many did.
After my dad finished up his breakfast and was walking out to his car, he noticed a note on his windshield. He joked with my sister, 'I wonder what church wants me to come visit'.
It was a hand written note.
"I want to thank you for serving your country. I want to thank you for everything you did for your fellow Americans."
(My dad has vet plates on his car, as well as his company flag sticker in his window)
THAT was a good thing. That lifted his day, and I know that is something he'll NEVER forget. It was the respect he never got after he got home from Vietnam.
This stranger who left him that note will never know how great it was.
It's something I'll think about doing for someone else.

Go do good things people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Re; Patriot Riders... I have had their button on my site for about 2 months now. I cried a little when I read their site. These guys are awesome. God bless them!

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwww...I can't imagine the pride your dad felt with that note.

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about the Patriot Guard on Mike Yon's blog a couple of weeks ago. Awesome, just awesome.

When I hear of people like your father who gave honorable service and a large measure more for thier country, and who were maltreated in the extreme on when they came back, I just want to weep.

I have been "over there". I was fortunate enough not to loose any of my brothers or sisters in arms - but sometimes it was more than just a little too close.

Please pass to your father my heartfelt gratitude. A virtual note on his windshield, if you will. Please tell him thank you for the sacrifices he made for his countrymen - even when they spit on him. Please tell him thank you for the sacrifices he made for his family - even as they missed and feared for him. Please tell him thank you for the sacrifices he made for his brothers in arms - especially when he was one of the few who were able to ruck up and carry on. Please tell him thank you for the sacrifices he and his brothers made for me - leaving me a free country to live in and a legacy of service to follow.

Please tell him a brother in arms says, "Thank you for everything!"

1:06 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Well, if that wasn't just enough to make me cry over my toast and coffee this morning, I don't know what will.
Thank you Odd Mix

8:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home