The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Do you know what the sign is for...

During our quest to get Miles to communicate we've been using quite a bit of sign language.
The results have been amazing. He usually starts telling me he wants something by having a meltdown. If I start making guesses, he gets mad because I don't guess what he wants.
After a few minutes of meltdown mode, I will ask him to TELL Me what he wants and he'll do the sign for 'eat' or 'more' or 'milk'.
Logan thinks this is great.
We had the one and only Mom Underground over with 'big G' and 'little G' last week. Logan was completely amazed to hear 'little G' say with such clarity, "Mama".
"HEY! He said MAMA!!!!" like it was thee coolest thing to hear a little kid say a word.
All day long he talked about how 'little G' can say this and that.
I try to convince him that soon enough Miles will be able to say words, but Logan has his doubts.
So when we started teaching Miles to sign, you can only imagine the excitement that Logan had. Miles communicates in other ways that crying so loud that Logan can't hear the TV. Yeah for that! :)
Apparently we may have gotten a little too excited for Miles because Logan now thinks he knows the signs to everything.
In the car, when he hears the radio, his fingers and hands are doing all sorts of movements.
"What'cha doing kiddo?"
"I'm signing the song!"

When he wants more of something, he'll make up the sign.
"Do you want to see how you say, 'I want more turkey sandwich'?" he says as he shows me his hands and fingers flailing around.
"Awesome! Show your Dad!" I say as I watch him show Dave something completely different.

Hopefully Miles will decide that he can communicate by speech, but heck, we're doing pretty good making up signs along the way!
Although, I'd like to learn a few more that would make life easier.
*Water
*Tired
*outside
*brother

Can anyone help?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

Have you seen that show "Signing Time" on PBS (I think it is on PBS) It is on on Sunday mornings, I think (hard for me to say since we TIVO everything). Liam learned some signs just from watching that.

Just wanted to tell you, too, (I meant to email) that I got Liam's shirt and its FANTASTIC. I wanted to take a pic of him in it right away, but he's got a big scratch on his face, so maybe next week.
I brought it in to work to show people, though. Everyone loves it, so I hope you'll get some sales

5:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time lurker... I second the Signing Times show on PBS. We show E the first one over and over again. He loves it. I think he has a crush on the woman in it. I can help you with water - your fingers form a W at your chin with just your pointer finger touching your chin. Hope that makes sense.

7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Signs are great. All of our kids used them to some degree or another. Many are based on ASL (American Sign Language).

Water
Out
Tired

8:26 PM

 
Blogger Tonya said...

Cant help you with the signing Im afraid but it is great that he is learning though!! We have a show out here that is great for child signing but dont think you would get it where you are anyway.

ohhh and I want to see the miles playpen shots... lol

9:00 AM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

You might try finding a book at the library with more signs.

12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see oddmix hooked you up. all my kids sign. even the older ones use signs with the younger ones. its a great headache saver.


and i've moved
http://mdawsongallery.com/blog/

5:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home