The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Some local news

How many of you have heard of Winky the elephant?
I grew up going to see Winky, as well as the other animals at the zoo as a child.
I remember being glad when the elephants were moved. There wasn't much room at this zoo, and I knew they were going to a bigger better place. (Unlike the small monkeys which were sent to research. I still haven't gotten over that one)

Yesterday when I was driving, I heard the radio DJ's half way joking about Winky KILLING his caretaker. I thought they were joking, but it turns out, they weren't.

Check out this beautiful memorial.
She was so young.
Winky will not be put down. I must say, I'm glad about this. But then again I'm really not a circus/zoo type person. I think it's horribly awful to think about these wild animal stuck behind a fence.

I'm not sure if this is national news.
Imagine, you are 16 years old. You are in labor. So much must have lead a 16 yr old child to decide to give birth. There are many 16 year old girls who get pregnant who do not choose to have the baby. She did.
You go to the hospital. There are 2 main hospitals here that you can give birth in. One doesn't seem better than the other really. Depending on which insurance you have, you don't get the choice really.
She went here.
She was supposed to receive penicillin in her IV. The nurse made a mistake and put in the epidural medication in her IV.
20 minutes later she had a seizure.
She later died.
Her baby survived.
Read the news article here.
I can't imagine how heartwrenching this must be for her family.
Obviously this hospital is in major trouble, and Medicare/Medicaid are threatening to back out of their hospital.

"We have determined that the deficiencies are so serious they constitute an immediate threat to patient health and safety."

Can you imagine being 9 months pregnant and knowing that you have to deliver at this hospital any day?

1 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Wow, those are tragic stories. I feel for all the familys, and the nurse who made that mistake. Imagine living with that.

10:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home