The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

I don't USE makeup

Since I've started doing home shows for this company I've noticed two types of women.
Those who are open to trying most anything and wear makeup on a regular basis and those who almost wear a badge saying, "I don't wear makeup!"
Which is fine with me, really!
I really don't care if sally chooses not to wear makeup, even if I think she should probably put a little concealer on.
The thing that cracks me up is that people say it almost like they are ready for me to debate with them WHY I think she should wear makeup.
Which is another thing that is funny because I've never done a 'Make it up' show. In fact, in my shows we literally take 2 seconds to talk about the makeup and then get right on doing a little pedicure on ourselves.

Perhaps that is what most people think of direct sales people, but it's not me, that's for sure.

If I have so and so come up to me and needs help picking out something for herself and states that she doesn't wear makeup (usually in a 'tone'), then I turn the catalog AWAY from the makeup, obviously!

So, to my very loved loyal few readers...do YOU feel the wall go up when you talk to someone in direct sales thinking that she will try to persuade you that her products are the best ever? Do you expect a debate? Are you one of those who can't speak your mind and then freeze and buy the $50 pan because she promised that your water would boil faster?

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennie said...

First of all, I love that you have found a company that lets you follow your dream! I think it's so awesome that you are doing this! I just wish I lived closer so I could have a pedi. party of my own :).

The type of shopper I am depends on the type of party. I can always find something I want (unless it's a stamping or scrapbooking party - I don't have a creative bone in my body!)

8:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly? I definitely feel the wall go up, BUT it also depends on the product and the setting. If I were going to a product party, it would be different than being approached on the street/in a store. Does that make sense? I am one of those who doesn't really wear makeup save for a special occasion and then it's just a tiny bit that doesn't really look like makeup -- but that's actually why I would probably LIKE the stuff from your company...I guess that's not really what you asked though, huh? I'll stop my babbling now. :)

2:13 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I have been to several friends' product parties, and I always feel like I SHOULD buy something. The party part is fun, but then comes the presentation part. I do feel a wall go up inside myself. I feel like why would they invite me to their product party if I'm not going to buy any 'product'?

Now a pedicure party I have never had the pleasure of attending!

9:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually in direct sales as well (www.jockeyforyou.com)and have felt the wall go up on both sides. I feel the "bristle" of the guests as I approach that part of my program and have acted the exact same way myself when I knew it was coming. I try to stear clear of any parties where I know I won't want to buy anything - I also have had plenty of people walk out of my parties without purchasing anything, so I guess that the obligation factor is changing with the huge number of DS companies emerging. Sorry for rambling!!

9:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rarely wear any makeup now that I'm a shut-in (lol). I used to wear a little every day when I was a working gal. I actually stay away from things like concealer, because I don't know how to use it and would probably look like an idiot. Oh well.
My sil used to do Pampered Chef shows, so I don't really let myself get intimidated by people selling things I don't want or need. I learned a long time ago to just say no to candle parties. Although, I did go to a sex toy party once, and that was a little more interesting...

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

funny!
I know those kinds of women.

1:51 PM

 
Blogger DDanielle said...

Dang blogger, it lost my comment.

Well I am one of those girls who doesn't wear makeup. If I say "I don't wear makeup" any tone, is actually fear on my part. Not hostillity towards people selling it. Like erin said, I don't want to look like an idiot.
However I have been to product parties and purchased items. I don't really feel intimidated (except for Amway).
Maybe I am the only one, but if you were to feel any "wall" from a person like me, it might just be "fear" of makeup and not you selling it.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Am probably just too dense to even think about a wall...unless, as previously mentioned by ddk23, it's Amway...but that's a completely different story.

8:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home