The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

2nd opinion

Logan had his second opinion on Tuesday.
Dave had planned on coming, but couldn't get out of a 2 day training class where he was the only one to represent his group.
Logan and I went alone, but I wished Dave could have joined us.
It's strange, walking into a place that is strictly for kids with Autism.
Kids coming in and out, actually, only boys. Moms smiling at each other. Staff WAY to eager and overwhelmingly nice.
I didn't like it.
I hoped we didn't belong there.

The diagnosis took a little under 3 hours.
It involved asking me a lot of questions, asking Logan a lot of questions and then LOTS of play with Logan.
His last diagnosis didn't involve very much play, so I was relieve that she was taking the time to really REALLY engage with Logan and see him with her own eyes. In the back of my head I thought, MAN! She'd make a great nanny on those days where I just need to bury my head in the sand! :)

The appointment was emotional, hard, and really something that I wish I never had to do. This woman was way better at 2 way conversation than the last guy.
He was your typical psychiatrist. His nodding and lack of response was rather cold and dry. He didn't really push my emotions.
This woman was a parent of young kids and she GOT it. She made it easy for me to really explain and really share what Logan was like.

Well, anyway, she agreed. Aspergers.
And for some reason, having 2 people say he has Aspergers is way harder than when the first person said it. I had some thoughts that maybe he was wrong. But, he wasn't.

Upcoming, more 10 page forms to fill out. All picking apart the growth and development of my child. I hate them. More evals (well, one more for the state) and then we'll start therapy. Eventually. For now, we're just doing our thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I'm sorry this is so hard for you all. But you are great parents for doing this to get him the help he may need!

2:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hugs*

3:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. I don't have anything helpful to say, other than I know you're the best person to help him thrive through this.

1:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home