The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Crusts

Back in my 'hmm...I must just be a darn good parent because my only child does everything I ask and is really a good child!' stage I used to look at children who would have the crusts cut off their sandwiches like their moms were crazy.
Why are you cutting off the crusts?
Just leave them there and he'll/she'll eat them.

I told you I was naive, didn't I?

See, I just made my child his PB&J and he'd eat it, crust and all.
I didn't see the point in cutting off the crusts.

But I've learned something.

Not all kids eat crusts.

Shocking, I know! But what I didn't know, EVER, is that perhaps the parent has nothing to do with it.

Miles doesn't eat crusts, ever.
He'll start with his sandwich and eat until he gets close to the crust, and then it's obvious to him that his sandwich is gone, even though he's got half of it left.

"Eat this!" I'll say happily handing him the crust.
"Ackies"

So, what have I started to do now?
CUT OFF THE CRUSTS!
Why? Because if I CUT them off, he'll eat it all. If I leave them there, he'll eat 1/2 of a 1/2 a piece of bread.

Isn't it funny how much you think you know as a parent, and then #2 comes around and teaches you that you didn't know half of what you thought you knew?

_____________________________
This is my poor attempt to blog and think about something other than my mom who is currently in the hospital with a rod down her entire femur bone with three 5 inch screws attaching her femur bone to her hip bone. She fell and broke her bone in 3 places. She's in for such a long long recovery. :(

5 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

We have had the same experience with crusts. My oldest never had a problem eating them. My second has to have his cut off. I always thought kids got this idea from seeing other kids refuse to eat crust, but to my knowledge he has never seen that.

9:33 AM

 
Blogger Anne said...

I do soooo many things now with Gabe that I looked down on other parents for doing when I only had one kid who gave me no hassles!

3:10 PM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like a long and painful recovery! she will be in my thoughts!

10:42 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

You need to get out...call me.

P.S. I always, always, always ate my crusts until three years ago...why is that? I have no idea...I guess I was looking for a place to cut carbs and there it was.

9:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home