The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, October 03, 2005

OK, so I've been sitting here for the last minute thinking of a title. Thing is, I don't know what I'm going to type about yet, so no title it is.

Computer time is getting shorter and less available due to the every changing baby I have.
Yesterday he showed us that he knows how to climb the entire set of stairs by himself. Yeah...nice trick. Not STOP GROWING!

He can walk all around with his walker (push one).
He's a wild one, that boy. Always on the move.
If you try to stop him, he'll head butt you until you get out of his way.
Determination.
Exhaustion.

He kisses us now. He'll lean right in, mouth open, slobber pouring out, and go straight to our lips. It's such a feeling. I can't even describe it. It's like, after the last tough 9 months (today!) he's finally showing us real LOVE. Ok, maybe he doesn't get it like that, but I like to believe that is what he's saying! ;)

2 teeth now! One ear infection too.
His 9 month appt is Wednesday. I can't wait to see how much he's grown!

I've been doing some thinking. Lets see if any of you have thoughts on the matter.
Logan will be 4 in a month.
He has that crappy birthday where his neighbor friend will start school and he will have to wait another year.
I'm thinking about trying to send him to school next year. I don' tknow if it is a good idea though.
You see, mentally, he's there. I won't go into a lot of it, but he can do math in his head, (even division), recognizes many words, his memory is amazing, can write every letter and number, counts to 100+...lets just say he gets it.
Socially, he's there!
Physically, he's there too. Bigger than a lot of kindergarteners already!
He'd thrive totally if we sent him.
In fact, in many states, the cut off is December 1st. OURS is September 1st.

Everyone says, 'he's a boy. Boy's are slower to develop and he'll need that extra year.'
I say, he's SO ready now, what's another year going to do for him?

But then I think about when he'll be old enough to drive. Everyone else will be already driving etc...voting, drinking...etc....
I was a young one with an August birthday. My Brother was even younger with an October birthday (he got to start early)
What would you do?
Do you know anyone in this situation?

On the 'Logan boards', as I call them (girls that I met when I was pregnant with Logan) it seems half the kids will be starting next year, and half will have to wait due to the cutoff difference?

-------
Recipes for tomorrow's tantalizing tuesday?
~PASTA~
Any pasta!!

I'm looking foward to them!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Misti said...

If any of my kids were born after the second week of August I would do another yr of preschool. I would try to find a pre-K class.
I have a late August birthday and i struggled :( may have nothing to do with my birthday but still. school was hard. I was always the youngest.
And I agree that boys are slower when it comes to maturity. Not smarts ;-)
Good luck with your decision.

2:12 PM

 
Blogger hillary said...

don't know what to tell you. i like being the oldest and doing everything first, but then again, i wish i would be able to graduate with my friends who were born before the cutoff.

tough decision. you should try it, and if they deny you, then at least you tried. sorry.

hillary

5:54 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

A tough call on Logan.
Perhaps PK would be a good idea. A good PK will enrich him even more! And he will be more mature for K the neext year. (I agree that in general boys are slower to mature) Hell, why do you think I married a man 9 years older than me? :)

8:13 PM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

My son is a Sept b'day and we have an Oct 1 cutoff here. I chose to hold him from K mostly b/c I wanted to, but also b/c his due date was Oct 2, so after the official cutoff.

I was an August b'day, young compared to the rest of my class. For my son and his situation, I particularly want added maturity at the end of his schooling, moreso than the beginning. I want him to be 18 at graduation and to have a firmer idea of who he is and what he wants to be for college. So my motivations are more future-oriented than present.

I have heard other folks talk about it, but this was not my motivation: sports. An older, bigger kid stands to fare better in HS athletics and would more likely get a college scholarship.

As it is, he's in 2nd grade and he has friends in his class that are a full year younger, and even more, than he is. My son is probably in the upper 1/4 in height, but he's not obviously older. He's always in the top math group, but he is average (for an 2nd grader) in reading - actually the extra time/maturity really helped him in that regard. I could not imagine him in 3rd grade right now w/his reading/writing abilities/lack of interest.

I've know people who thought about holding, then decided that height was a factor, so the kid needed to go earlier rather than later. Others have kids who are stellar readers, so they opt to send the kid. I guess you weigh what you're given.

8:54 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I understand what you are going through. Here in IL we have the September 1st cut-off. My son's b-day is in Oct. and half of his friends are older, so I know how that feels. My husband who was born right befor ethe cut-off, wishes his mom would have held him back. Now my hubby is a CPA with his masters, so we know it didn't HURT him academically, but he has always felt he just would have done better with another year unde his belt before kindy. I was always one of the oldest kids in my class and loved it!
So take that for what it's worth:)
Bev

10:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am new to this blog. I just wanted to say that I don't think there is any perfect answer, there are pros and cons either way you chose. I was the oldest in my class and a lot of my friends who were my age would move on to jr. high, then high school and graduation ahead of me and I was left behind. On the other hand I always did well academically and don't know if having that extra year helped. I think you just have to go with your instincts on this one and then make the consequences the best they can be.

12:23 AM

 
Blogger Katy said...

I think at such a young age, it really will not make much difference to Logan either way. I think in this case, you have to do what is good for you. I honestly feel that being the oldest or youngest in your class doesn't matter. My kids are in that dang cutoff too and I am certain they will be ready come the time. I will probably push to get them in early.;)

9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son will be in the same situation-- he just turned one with a September birthday in a September 1 state. And he's huge for his age and seems to be very bright so far.

I am considering putting him in a Montessori program that has mixed age classes (3-5 to start). If not, I may try to get him in early, too, assuming his social skills are there.

I skipped a grade in elementary school and was always the youngest, although physically I was big. The only problem I had was when all my school friends could drive before I could. That said, there's nothing really wrong with being the oldest, either, and maybe it would be better to let my son have another year of being a little kid....or maybe I just won't want him to grow up so fast...

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home