The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

eating issue

Can anyone relate and help?
I'm having the hardest time getting Miles to eat his formula.
He's never been a big eater. 20oz was a good day.
Well, now it's totally dropping.
It's 12:35 and with 3 bottles today he's had a total of only 5 1/2 ounces.
He only has 2 bottles left for the day.
He has no juice. Occasionally he'll have a couple sips of water with his meal, but this is how our daily schedule goes.
6:00-6:30ish bottle
7:30-breakfast
9:30-bottle
11:30-lunch
12:30-bottle
3:30-bottle
5:30-dinner
6:30-bottle/bed

The last bottle is the ONLY bottle he'll drink. He usually drinks 7-8oz at that time.
So, I called the pedi and he said make sure he gets no less than 20 oz. He switched us to soy in case there was an allergy(stupid IMO-he's not drinking because he thinks, 'hm..this is going to give me a tummyache)
He said if he's still not eating, he needs to be seen.

Yesterday I was able to get 18oz in.
The day before, only 14oz.

I tried it in a cup in case he was sick of bottles, no avail.
Not only am I afraid he's not getting the nutrients he's supposed to have, I'm afraid he's not getting the FLUID he's supposed to have.
I have tried giving him juice. He looks at me like I am the devil.
Water is OK, but I guess if he's drinking SOMETHING I'd rather it be formula.

Oh, and I space his bottles out so he eats them before and in between meals, so I know he's not just over eating solids.

So, besides the following:
~try in a cup
~try to feed him less

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I've been wondering about this with Maura, too. She only has 4 bottles a day, and she might get 20 oz. between all of them.

I try to be sure that she gets plenty of formula in her cereal, and I count that in the 20 oz.

I always offer water with her meals.

As long as he's having wet diapers, he's getting enough fluids.

I wish that I could be of more help. I will be watching for more helpful comments, too! Thanks for bringing this up!

1:10 PM

 
Blogger Kari said...

I'm not any help, I'm still nursing. But, I do know that my friend is having this issue with her son... 9 months. He just one day started refusing his formula. His check up was last week when I hear what her ped said I'll let you know?

Like Christine said if he's having wet diapers he's getting enough fluid.

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had some advice- but as long as he's happy and healthy with plenty of wet diapers I don't know what else could be going on. Good luck I hope your little guy decides to get back into eating soon. Oh and thanks so much for stopping by to comment on my blog! Nice to meet another Momma of 2 boys :)

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Katy said...

Steven is almost three and still doesn't eat. I understnad your stress. I wish I had something to offer.

4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home