The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, February 06, 2006

surprising reaction

After a tearful plea for sanity on Saturday evening, Dave and I decided that what I needed was a vacation day.
A 'call in sick' day, so to speak.
We arranged for Dave, Miles and Logan to go to his parents for the ENTIRE day.
Meals, naps, play all done over there.
He actually didn't take them until after Miles first nap, but I got to sleep in as late as I wanted.
I was so surprised when I opened my eyes at...are you ready for this...9:45!
Everyone was still home (Miles was still sleeping) so I got a few minutes of family time before I all but carried them all out to the car myself.
10:45, and the house was quiet and peaceful and ALL mine.

I decided to clean for 2 hrs straight. Then, I'd spend no more time working and the rest of the time relaxing.
I got the whole house cleaned, including mopping, dusting, vacuuming, bathrooms, etc...
I then decided to go get a yummy sub for lunch and finished it off with the rest of the large piece of chocolate cake** I started the day before.
I did a little blog reading and ebay hunting and decided after that long morning I deserved a nap. A NAP people!
Just as I fell asleep, the phone rang. Damn neighbor! ha!
But never fear, I got back to sleep for about a half hour.
I then decided to go to the health club.
I ran a couple miles and did some weights. I also realized that it was too busy for my liking on Sunday afternoons.
I thought about my boys on the way home. I was so tempted to call and tell them to come home for supper. I talked myself out of it because I figured, I needed this day. This WHOLE day.
I came home, made a baked potato and cheesy broccoli for supper and then thought about my boys some more.
I really missed them.
I picked up the phone to call, but then realized they'd be eating, so I hung up.
I really didn't enjoy the last hour because I couldn't WAIT to hear the garage door open. I couldn't wait to hear about their day!
The quiet that was so nice just hours before had actually turned lonely.
They didn't get home until about 7pm.
I had INSTANT energy.
I snuggled and loved up Miles for about 10 minutes and then put him to bed.
I then spent about 15 minutes hearing all about Logan's day, while snuggling in his bed with him.
After both kids were in bed, I came down to an exhausted husband.
I felt great.
I really did need that day off.
I've never had an entire day.
I finished my day by organizing all of my cardstock. A scrapbooking store went out of business and I actually bought a paper fixture. I have a retail 12x12 fixture in my office. I'm a little obsessed, no?

The funny thing to me though was that I was happy and living in my alone time when all of a sudden it hit me that I was ALONE.
As much as I am depended on, it was so foreign for me to be able to do things I wanted to do when I wanted to do them. I even got to use the bathroom with the door closed. Although, who really cared with my empty house, right?
I thought I'd enjoy the day so much and that I'd want to do it again.
The reality was, I enjoyed it, yes, but it was too much of a good thing.
I guess I'm all talk.
The reality is, I need my boys just as much as they need me.
Isn't that wonderful?

-------------------
Cake:Logan had a birthday party on Saturday. As Dave and Logan were packing up to go, Logan asked the father, "Can I take a piece of cake home for my mommy? She LOOOVES chocolate cake!!"
OK, say it. I have THEE sweetest boy in the universe.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome...you're a very luck mommy.

10:05 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

10:44 AM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Wow, i'm so jealous! Its true that absence makes the heart grow fonder, sometimes we need that. And you do have a sweet little boy!

10:45 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

WOW I'm so jealous!! I wish my Dh would do that...his parents live in Ca though! UGH

How cool about the scrapbook cardstock too!! I love buying cardstock :)

1:29 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

Wow. Didn't expect that reaction.

In any case, I'm glad you had a good sleep and time to do your own thing. I think it's a great idea and very important for your sanity.

Maybe next time you should do half a day?

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Damn, I am so jealous!
You HAVE to have a day to yourself every now and then to rejuvinate!

And you do have a sweet boy, getting for a piece of cake for you.

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!! Glad you got to enjoy a day off. We all need those once in a great while!!

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home