The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Well, I can't blog about that now, can I?

Today is the day of love. (Gag)
I was driving with Dave yesterday when he did something totally blog-worthy.
I actually used the line, "I'm SO blogging that!"
Where he told me that I shouldn't blog about it because then he'd look like a jerk! ha!
So, here I am debating, do I blog it or not?
About this Valentines thing. I have married THEE most UNromantic man in the world.
He sucks at the whole gift or gesture thing.
He puts too much pressure on himself.
I would be happy if he just told me to go take a hot bath while he fed and put the kids to bed. He thinks I need flowers and candy and a night out and wine and gifts.
No matter how many times I tell him that I am very easy going, he still puts too much pressure on himself and then really sucks bigtime.
I should have known from our first gift giving season together.
We met in May, so I think it must have been Christmas.
Do you know what he gave me?
A stuffed frog. Not just a regular frog. A TREE frog. Stuffed. Like a stuffed animal. That was after dating for 7 months.
Like the good girlfriend I was, I pretended it was great.
How I LOVED the tree frog.
Now that we've been together for almost 10yrs, he knows that the tree frog was a bad idea.
Apparently his personality was more important than his gift giving skills, because I married him.
Along the way I've gotten more bad gifts.
Here's one.
The Oprah weightloss book he got me one year for Valentines day!
Not because he wanted me to lose weight, but because he SWORE that I said I wanted that book. He thought he was giving me something I really really wanted.
What about 2 Christmas's ago when about a month before Christmas I bought a scrapbooking travel bag. I winked and told him it could be my Christmas present.
He took that as his way out apparently, because there wasn't a single gift under the tree for me.
I wasn't as dignified that time though. I was upset, as he was opening his gifts from me.
I decided then that no matter how hard he tried, he'd never get it right.
It's simply because he puts too much pressure on himself!
So, while some hate valentines day, I get kindof excited to think about what on earth he will think I wanted or needed.
So, this morning, as I came down from my shower I see a bag on the counter.
It wasn't a bag with hearts or flowers on it...no, not from my Valentine.
It was a gift bag that I got one of Miles' baby gifts in.
It was a blue bag with a stork on it carrying a baby in his mouth.

He told me to open it, as I was trying to feed Miles.
Very romantic: Having yogurt spit at me while trying to cut up some peanut butter toast.
This is what the card said:

Front:
Hey! Let's get naked and watch baseball!
Back:
Wait! There's no baseball in February! Hmm...now we're naked with nothing to do....
Happy Valentines Day!

Aww! Isn't it sweet!

I look in the bag at the completely unwrapped gift. Just a box in the bag! No tissue paper to pretend it's wrapped! Seriously, it was so funny.
But to my surprise, I saw something thoughtful! Something nice! Something I knew I'd like when I saw Willow on the box.
Could my husband have really done it right this time?
I got the Willow Together statue.

I love it!
It's totally something that I would pick out and appreciate.
Maybe he's turned a new leaf?
I hope you got something really great, even if it is an evening off from bedtime duty or pizza delivered so you don't have to cook!

9 Comments:

Blogger Info for you said...

I was laughing at your previous gifts! LOL


At least you get them. My DH doesn't believe in the whole V Day thing. he hates it in fact so we don't celebrate it. UGH

Sounds like he made it this year :)

12:13 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Oh that is sweet!

We have to forgive them for the other bad presents, they are men after all.

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Now isn't that a card you can expect from a man??LOL

1:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, typically not a fan of statuettes...but that thing is COOL!

i could so post about this same thing. i think we have all been thru this...

MY MAN...actually CALLED ME yesterday afternoon and said 'hey sweetie...what do you want to do tonight for valentines day?'...you would have thought by my reaction that I had channeled satan. I was all 'I know you didn't just ask me what I think we should do for v-day? have i taught you nothing else...but to know that the name of the special holiday gift giving spirit is BE CREATIVE...and don't wait until the last minute and come asking me what to do???

i thought i was going to shoot myself.

3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet. Looks like he's starting to get it...

3:48 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

Very cute and funny story.

We don't do presents or anything for Valentine's usually, but my husband handed me five gourmet chocolate bars yesterday morning. The best part? It's that time of the month. I NEEDED that chocolate. It was super romantic, if you ask me.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Stella, how funny!
I can live viacariously through you though.
You're still engaged, no kids. He still has to try! Ha!
I bet you guys can still have some real fun!
I hope he had something really exciting all worked out!

7:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see that you do have the capability to bring out the potential of expressing yourselves.

baby sleeping

10:23 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I am so glad that your hubby got it right this time! My husband, apart from this year, would simply give me the same type of gift, FOR EVERY OCCASION. I have so many damn figurines, I don't know what to do with them. I mean one was nice, but six, not so much. Men are clueless!

3:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home