The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

2nd opinion

After much thought, I've decided to take Miles to the local voice clinic. What happens is that they do a hearing test automatically. (Which I have no doubt his hearing is fine. He hears whispers) and then they do an exam with a speech language pathologist. After that is done, Miles meets with an ENT to do an oral exam.
I just have a feeling that something isn't right. I've done pretty well with my intuition, so I'm just going with it.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Miles just doesn't talk.
He grunts, points, and says 'ma' for much of everything. He communicates TO us usually with mouth closed 'mm's' when he DOES communicate. (I wish I could explain this more)
If we're playing one on one, he doesn't make many noises. If we try to play an imitation game, he'll shake his head no when asked to repeat.
If he's playing alone, he'll babble.
When asked to say something, even something as simple as 'dada' he'll shake his head no.
He understands everything. Everything.

I have my suspicions, of course.
We'll wait and see what they think.
unfortunately they can't see him for almost 2 months.
When your concerned with your child, 2 months is a long time.
Just two little tidbits I found online.
----------------------
From 18 to 24 months:
Children should have a vocabulary of about 20 words by 18 months and 50 or more partial words by the time they turn 2. By age 2, kids should be learning to combine two words, such as "baby crying" or "Daddy big." A 2-year-old should also be able to follow two-step commands (such as "Please pick up the toy and bring me your cup").

----------------------
Between 12 and 24 months, reasons for concern include a child who:
isn't using gestures, such as pointing or waving bye-bye by 12 months
prefers gestures over vocalizations to communicate by 18 months
has trouble imitating sounds by 18 months
-----------------------

We've got the last 2 on that list.
Now, I know some kids talk late. I know boys many times talk later than girls. I know that your cousins baby didn't talk until 3 and now is fine.
The thing is, I've been waiting for months now to see much progress. Since the EI appt, I haven't seen the progress we should have seen.
I read that at this age children can learn up to 12 words a DAY.
It's like Miles understand. He knows what the words ARE, he just can't get his mouth to say them.


Guess who wants to run away from her birthday tomorrow?
The big 29.
365 days until my 30's.
My children seem to think temper tantrums work, maybe if I make a BIG one I can go back to 28?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, do I know what you're going through. It's like torture, waiting and waiting while everyone tells you he's fine...which he just might be, but you don't know, and that's the torture.
After going through this with Thomas, I am wishing for at least 50 words to start popping out of Ryan any day now. So far he just says All-done, uh-oh, da-da, and waves bye-bye.
I wish you could be seen sooner.

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Cricket said...

Hi,
I've been reading for a while, mostly b/c of Miles, but haven't commented.

I hope you don't mind a personal anecdote.

My son, now almost 9, was very similar to Miles - little talk, much pointing/grunting, and little interest in books. I decided that if he didn't improve with real words put together by the time he was three, I'd have him evaluated. As the time rolled up, I figured there would be a backlog in getting an appt, so I called to make it about 2 months before his birthday. His eval fell 6 weeks before his birthday, but in the three weeks between making the appt and going, he suddenly could speak in sentences, count, do some ABCs (he didn't know that fully until late K), name colors and shapes. The evaluator at one point said, "Okay, my little rocket scientist..." which, of course, was intended to make me feel like an idiot. The kid had had a big turn around, drastic. He suddenly seemed normal.

For the record, I'd done baby signs with him, so he could communicate some when he was 1-2yo.

Besides rejoicing that J finally got it, there is a larger factor that therapists/teachers etc do not recognize. Late talkers do have residual issues later, because the underlying cause isn't treated. They're slower with other learning, but not to the point of being really behind, at least in my son's case. It can be attributed to auditory dyslexia (akin to sounds mixed up, not words like in visual). Google that and keep it in mind. My son has mild mixed dyslexia, so a little of both kinds, although the auditory is most obvious to me.

I wish to goodness someone had helped me advocate better for my son and that I had known what dyslexia looks like, so that's why I'm sharing. Not to scare you - as it turns out, my son does normally in school, although his IQ is much higher than his output - a warning sign, but of course the school doesn't care as long as he's passing. Frustrating.

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Hey, don't worry! 29 is easy! I've been 29 for years now!! ;)

As for Miles, It's great that you're getting a second opinion! While he may just be a late talker, it certainly doesn't hurt to check everything out in the meantime. And if there is something going on, it's much better to catch it early on. So you can not go wrong with this decision. 2 months is a long time, though. Did you ask them to call you if there's a cancellation earlier?

11:56 AM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Two months IS a long time to wait. Although, now that you made the appointment he will be talking in full sentences next week :D

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Oh how I wish I had advice. I agree that you should call and ask them to put you in if they have a cancellation. Two months is a long time for a mother to worry.
I hope and pray that he starts to talk any day now.

2:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home