The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, August 14, 2006

New Hobby?

Thursday night I had the pleasure of going to Boulder's Climbing Gym for ladies night out. Only three of us came (out of like 13) and I'm sure it's because the idea of climbing is a bit nerve wracking if you've never done it.
The three of us who DID go were newbies. I must say, the new language we had to learn, and the pressure of being the belay for the first time and then actually making it high enough to be a little afraid of coming down was overwhelming...for about 5 minutes.
Then, it was all FUN!
I LOVED it.
So I didn't make it up to the top every time like TKW did (gumby) but I did pretty well, I think.
It was one of those exercises where you are just having fun, but know you're working your body well too.
I could see myself becoming a regular (if it wasn't so expensive)

So on Friday, I told Logan all about.
He wanted to know the words to say.
He practiced them.
He imagined (like he does all day) himself climbing and bouncing down.
Lightbulb went off in my head and I called Dave.
"Logan and I are going ROCK climbing when you get home!"
"YYEESSSSS!!!!" was all I could hear from Logan.

So, we get there and got him all harnessed up and BOY was he excited.
Then he started climbing.
We were there for about 1 1/2 hrs and the highest his feet left the ground was 8 inches I bet.
He preferred 'resting' and hanging there.

I've got some great pictures, but in order to actually LOOK like he was climbing I had to lay on the floor and take it up so that you couldn't see the floor in the picture.
(unfortunately the cord to the camera is not at our house, so I can't show them at this moment)

OK, so maybe my boy isn't going to be a climber, but I definitely caught the climbing bug. (As long as were talking about climbing on a fake wall with 'rocks' placed right where they need to be. And while were at it, as long as I am strapped in with a belay at the bottom)

If you've never gone, you MUST try.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I have gone before and it is fun! I have not been in years though!

Cant wait to see the pictures of Logan climbing how cool!

1:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is (or was) a chain of sporting goods stores called Galyans that had 40 foot walls in each store that were free. It was first come, first served, but it was fun. Anyone was welcome to try and they even had climbing shoes to lend.

1:59 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Oh climbing is fun!

3:33 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

How expensive was it? Are children less?

9:51 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

That sounds like a lot fun, and it's neat that Logan became interested. I'll have to check it out sometime!

3:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool! What a great mum.

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent!!!

Pretty soon we'll be free scaling (is that even really a term or did I totally make it up?) mountains and such.

We must go again and drag MU with us!

12:12 PM

 
Blogger Me said...

I had no idea little ones could do it! I guess I assumed there was an age cut off. Cool for Logan!

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home