The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

It's OK, isn't it?

I hate my birthday.
I always expect something and always wind up getting disappointed.
Growing up, we went all out. Not with expensive presents or parties...just our family.
We had a birthday banner that got hung over our stairs for EVERY birthday.
We blue up balloons, we baked cakes, we hung streamers. If we went out to dinner we always secretly told the server who's birthday it was so they could get sung to. (OK, after so many, it wasn't a secret, but still...it was still fun.)
We made a party for E.V.E.R.Y. birthday.
Daves family didn't do that, so he's not big on birthday celebrations.
Each year I think he'll learn from the last year.
Each year is the same.
I'm just waiting for the surprise.
I know I'm always in a bad mood on my birthday, and that's something I have to work on.
Today, I took the kids and went out to get ingredients for a cake.
It's MY birthday, and dammit, I want cake.
I called my parents and invited them out to dinner.
It's MY birthday and we're going out to dinner.
It's OK that I make my own plans isn't it? Yes, it's desperate, I know.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

Its that way for us, too. The only part that makes it worse is that my bday and dh's bday are the same day. Every year I say, "Just because you don't want anything for YOUR birthday doesn't mean I don't want anything for MINE"
Hasn't worked yet.
His family aren't really gift-givers either. Someday he might catch on and suprise me at Christmas. But, usually he only buys several small things like candles and glitter pens.

Here's to hoping he suprises you this year.

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

No not at all desperate! My family made a big deal out of EVERY birthday as well. It was my mom and her sister and all us kids for every birthday, it was special and fabulous and thank goodness my mom still makes a big deal because the Ex not so hot about it! His family was weird with birthdays!

Doesnt everyone want to celebrate the birth of their loved ones!

Have a great birthday and damnit if I lived near ya I would make you a birthday cake!

Happy Birthday!

3:24 PM

 
Blogger graymama said...

Happy Birthday!

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

We were married for five years before I had a bday cake because I refused to make one for myself. Finally, a friend brought one over one year. Ever since dh has bought me a cake from the store.

I say its perfectly respectable and within your rights to make your own cake and plan your own dinner ;)

4:44 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

happy birthday!!! I don't think it's desperate to make your own cake and plans. You want cake and don't mind makin git, then cake you should have!

9:58 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

Happy Birthday! : )

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

I see that you're a true Leo. We MUST be treated like royalty on our birthdays, if not ALL the time! ;-) You deserve the best!

10:10 PM

 
Blogger Kari said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Birthday's are always a big deal for me, too. But, like you hubby's family doesn't really care about birthday's either. Thankfully - he doesn't follow that trend.

I hope you had a really nice dinner and your cake was yummy.

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Well how did it go? Cant wait to hear the recap! I hope you had a great birthday!

10:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES!! it's okay. well, I hope its okay because I have had to make my own plans . Its just life as a mom.

Happy Birthday Girl!! I hope you had a yummy dinner and great day.

12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home