The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, April 16, 2007

How did they do it?

I'm thinking back to my Grandmother's time. She was a mom of 6. Her husband died when the kids were still young, and she had to go back to work full time.

I think of women back at that time. The literally WORKED from sun up to sun down. Laundry by hand, hang dry, gardening, cleaning and cooking and baking all day.
It seems there are so many distractions during my day.

I have full intentions to put away all the clothes, iron Dave's shirts, organize my Body Shop stuff and then make a good healthy dinner.
Why does that not happen?

Entering: this is OUR family and OUR house and we'll work together to make it organized.
My fear about raising my kids is that they'll be lazy and expect mom to do it all.
It's already that way. Logan won't willingly clean his room or th eplay room. He won't willingly take care of his things.
I'm coming up with a family plan.
Logan will have his daily duties, Miles will have his (as much as he can) and DAVE will have his and then perhaps I won't feel as if the house, my job and the family are all my responsibility!

I'd love to hear how this works in your house.
Granted, Miles won't be able to DO much, but I thought he could:
Put his clothes in the hamper every morning and night
Put his books away in his room (he 'reads' a LOT)
Pick up his toys WITH us helping.

Logan can:
Clothes in hamper
room clean
clean counter in bathroom after teeth brushing. (Is it just my kid that gets toothpaste ALL OVER THE SINK? I don't' get it!?!?!)
Dishes over to the sink (he does this now)
Feed the fish

I hate charts and stickers and all that crap, but I think I'm going to have to go with it and make the kids a chart.
Maybe an allowance might come into play? But not as payment for chores, but as a contribution to the family??
Anyone have any suggestions?

5 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

We have found that just consistantly making the boys clean their toys up has worked. It took many many times of practically forcing them to do it, but in the end they learned there is no getting out of it and they do a much better job now.

6:46 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

Ummmm mine are almost 10 and almost 8 (not counting Reagan 2) and I still have issues getting them to do their part!! I've tried charts and stuff too and while it works at first and they are excited the novelty went away pretty fast!!!
I haven't tried the allowance yet but I don't want them to expect money for helping in their house too..

So I don't know? I've been trying to figure something out too because #4 is on the way and I'm going to be needing HELP pretty darn quick!!
You should see my sinks! Toothpaste everywhwere...

11:58 AM

 
Blogger Jennie said...

I KNOW! It is really hard to keep on top of everything, isn't it?!?!? I could use a cleaning service myself!

Luckily Hannah is 12 and can help around the house. She gets an allowance and the rule is 1/2 in savings and 1/2 to spend however she would like.

Sophie has a couple of jobs. Putting the silver wear and plates on the table, putting hers in the sink, picking up one toy before she plays with another, and picking up her dirty clothes. We've just started to talk about making beds. That's next, and at that point (most likely the fall?!?!) we should start an allowance.

12:36 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I agree with Amie. Making the kids consistently clean up has worked for us too. In fact, my 4 year old now loads his dishes into the dishwasher. Unfortunately, getting them to clean up still takes coaxing.
I think the jobs you listed are realistic, though. And, no, it's not just your kid. My oldest ALWAYS gets toothpaste and stuff in and on the sink! (Course, so does my husband, so that is why they share a bathroom with each other and not me!)

9:09 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

I should clarify that getting the kids to clean up anything else besides their dishes needs coaxing. I did start the clean dishes job very early, though.

9:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home