The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Pass a tissue please...

It has been ONE emotional weekend. 
My parents are moving.  My mom and dad built a house after they were married for a year (they have been married for 35yrs) and we lived in that house until I was 15yrs old.  We split our lot, sold our house and built a new one on the other half of the lot (it was an acre).
So, in essence, even though my parents sold the house I grew up in, we still lived right where we used to play baseball every night until dark.  The new house still had all the trees we played with and built forts in.  It still looked back towards my Grandmother house, which was right behind us.  It had the ever so familiar railroad tracks right next door that we learned our balance on.  In the same small town (200 or so people...max!) with the same small amount of roads, and cows, and old people.
When my Grandmother died in Feb 2002, we all knew it was the time to leave that small town.  2 1/2 yrs later, it is finally happening.  I will never have a reason to go back to the town I grew up in.  While that is common for many people, I am about 2 weeks shy of being 27 yrs old. In the 27 years, it has been rare for me to miss one week of walking on my grass, where I learned how to walk.
It is great that my parents are moving for several reasons. 
One, they are moving 1 1/2 miles away.  That might sound too close for comfort for some, it is just great for me.  You see, my mom is sick. She has MS, but won't admit it to anyone.  She instead will admit to another horrible illness she has RSD.  She can barely walk, and our house they sold is a 2 story.  They are moving into a nice ranch which is PERFECT for her!  NO stairs! (well, there WILL be stairs for my dad's room!  His hunting/vietnam/etc...living space..the space where he can hang is dead animals! Can you believe my father is a hunter, and I am a vegetarian)
Also, my dad has epilepsy, and he will lose his license if/when he has another seizure.  With them being so close, God forbid anything happens, I'll be close to help them.
So, moving the big stuff happened this weekend, and the rest of the stuff has to be out by Friday. 
Its a little sad to see it all go!
Now, while I AM sad about that, Dave and I realized something today.  We are stuck here.  We will never be able to move, at least until we are 55 at the EARLIEST!
If you have siblings, you will understand this.  We are the 'responsible' ones of the family. BOTH me and Dave.  Him in his, me in mine.
His sister up and moved away (to France none the less) in highschool, and has since settled about 5 hrs away.  My brother could move any minute, and he is SOOOO not the one to take care of anything parent related.  My sister is the baby, in more ways than one, and is so needy that she doesn't know how to be responsible.
Chances are my mom will be in a wheel chair..already is at her work (plus she is very very small and weak) and my dad...well, we just don't know what the future brings. (although he DID state that IF he loses his license, he'll sell his truck and keep the Harley.  He'll chance the ticket if he gets pulled over!)
How could we move?  We couldn't, and we wouldn't.
My mom did the same. She gave up her life to be next to her mother.  She doesn't regret it, as I know I won't either.  In some ways it is great being that one that everyone knows they can depend on.  Dave and I are just big travelers.  We'd go anywhere, do anything!  To know that we are growing roots in this town...its kindof smothering.
We'd both love to move to Arizona.  Hmmm....kindof far away from Wisconsin!
So, we've decided that we are just going to be travelers forever.
We will bring traveling into the blood of Logan and 'baby'.
So that is 2 things that have been emotionally overwhelming this weekend.
Plus, I can't stop thinking about getupgrrl's heartwrenching news and the emotions she must be going through.  I don't even know her, yet I couldn't feel for her more.  I hang from every word she writes hoping that she has gotten better news...(Chez Miscarraige...the link is in my list)
I'm about ready to drop from exhaustion.
I'm also getting about as nervous as you can get knowing the 'big ultrasound' is coming up. I don't have a date yet.  We make it at my next appt.  (next Friday)
But I've decided that for a healing process, IF all is well at the u/s, and IF we find out the sex, we are going to buy a few things for the baby.  Nothing major yet.
Just clothes...pink ones I think.  maybe some socks...
We will have to do it alone, without Logan because I really want to soak it in.  The first purchase.  And with a 2 1/2 yr old...oy!  Shopping slowly just doesn't work! The cart has to be MOVING at all times!
Oh, and Logan is JUST fine! NO rash what-so-ever!
I'm such a worry wort!  Just remind me of that next time I have a bit of a freakout for no good reason!
(Although, I still can't feel the baby move at 17w 1d)

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

What a big weekend! You must be exhausted! Take it easy today. Family is so important, and it is wonderful that you are so close to yours. And I'm so glad to hear that Logan is ok!!

7:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home