The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Two things weighing heavily on my mind...

First, an update on Logan.  His temp hovered between 100-101 today, all day.  His mood on the other hand was wonderful! He's his playful self.  We went to the doctor yesterday, and he said he was almost positive it was viral (although his throat was red, so we did a strep test...negative)
He said that due to the really high temp hitting so fast, chances are it was one of a few things.  Roseola, Hand foot and mouth, Fifths disease to name just a couple.
Apparently, in all of these you get the fever right away, and then when the fever breaks, you get a rash that will basically let you know what viral infection he had.  Once the rash appears, he will be basically symptom free.
So...that leaves me with the one thing thats on my mind.  Fifths Disease is also called, 'slapped cheek' disease.  That is what appears after the fever.  It looks as though the child was slapped.  Well...this afternoon Logans cheeks were getting mighty pink, and by the time he went to bed, they were very pink.  I'm praying it was just due to the fever being here for 48hrs.  Fifths disease isn't a good thing for a pregnant woman to be around.  While my doctor assured me that half of all adults are immune to it because they got it when they were children, it didn't make me feel all that better.  Here are some things I read about fifths and pregnancy:
------------------------------
Fifth disease has been documented as a potential congenital infection of the fetus. If a pregnant woman becomes infected with parvovirus B19, she may have no symptoms; however, the fetus may suffer damage, including the possibility of stillbirth. In women who have fifth disease during pregnancy, there is about a 25 to 35 percent risk that the fetus will become infected.
Having fifth disease rarely causes birth defects or brain damage, but can lead to early miscarriage or stillbirth. Most miscarriages due to fifth disease infection happen 4 to 12 weeks after the mother's illness begins. The risk for stillbirth is 5 to 10 percent. The greatest risk for pregnancy loss occurs with infection during the first half of the pregnancy.

FAQ's
What risk does parvovirus B19 infection pose to the fetus?
Fortunately, most fetuses are unaffected when their mothers contract the virus. However, when a fetus does become infected, the virus can disrupt the ability to produce red blood cells, leading to a dangerous form of anemia, heart failure, and up to a 9 percent risk of fetal death - resulting in miscarriage or stillbirth.
Fifth disease in pregnancy has not been proven to cause birth defects.
-----------------------------
So, as you see, this is quite disturbing.  Darn internet, I swear it turns an OK situation into life and death.
So, of course, if Logan DOES have fifths, we won't really know until he develops the red rash on his cheeks.  And, of course, if he does have it, its too late for me anyway.  He wouldn't be contagious anymore.  The last 2 days have been nothing but cuddling, loving, etc...so, if I'm NOT immune, I'll probably get it.  I called my OB today, and said we could do a few different things.  Bring Logan in for a blood test (no thanks!) or bring myself in for a blood test to see if I'm immune, then it wouldn't matter.  Or, just wait and see what happens with Logan.  If he doesn't develop it, then of course we are fine.
I chose option 3.  I was not going to make Logan get his blood drawn for a virus. 
So, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
The second thing weighing heavily on my mind...Today I am 16w4d
I have not felt a single movement yet.  With logan, I didn't know what 'feeling' felt like, and I remember like it was yesterday the first time I felt it.  I was laying on the bed with Dave, and Dave had his hand on my stomach.  We BOTH felt it at the same time. What does that tell you? That I OBVIOUSLY must have felt it inside much earlier if Dave felt it the same time I did. I just didn't realize it.  That was 20 weeks exactly.  Now, from what I understand, with your 2nd you feel it much earlier.  I'll be 17 weeks very shortly, and nada! Nothing! Not even a, 'was that it?'
Then, I've been reading the board of women due in January.  I'm due the 1st, so obviously I have one of the earliest due dates.  There are women on the board who are feeling movement with their first child, and they are behind me.
It makes me very nervous.
I remember my friend saying, 'wait until you get like 16 weeks or so, you'll feel SO much more confident then!'
While there is NO hiding I'm pregnant (my belly is nice and round) and we actually could feel my uterus this morning.  It was right at my belly button line.  I'm enjoying this pregnancy, (except for these darn headaches! ;o) but STILL....I'll stop the monotony.  You know what I'm going to say.
So anyway, Keep us in your thoughts. I'm sure its not fifths, but you just never know.  I'll keep you updated on those cute chubby cheeks tomorrow!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Sweetie, I hope it's not Fifths. But if it is I'm sure you'll be okay. Get that blood test to check your immunity, you have enough to worry about. And stop researching this stuff online. :::shakes finer::: I know when I do that I always end up more worried than when I started.

As far as feeling movement, even though this is your second, it doesn't guarentee you'll feel movement any earlier than you did with Logan. So many things factor in, like where the placenta is. If it's anterior (up front) it's a lot harder to feel movemnt. I felt this little girl move right around the same time I felt Liam for the first time, and it was really subtle. Just a little tickle. I'm still not sure if it was really her, or just gas.

If you're totally freeked out, give your OB a call. Maybe they could give you a quick check with the dopler, or a quick u/s to help calm your nerves.

Take care, I'm sure all is fine.

Arwa

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh sweetie I know that's gotta be nerve racking for you. I hope and pray everything is okay!!!

10:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was due to give birth to a healthy baby girl on sunday march 19th 2006. I was going to name her Emily Faith. To my surprise i started having contractions early sunday morning and my doctor told me to make my way to the hospital. I was so excited because this was my first baby and I just couldn't wait to have her and bring her home and love her and take care of her- all of the things that a mother should be able to do. When I got to the hospital they took me back to the labor and delivery room and started to check for her heart beat. Every one started acting strange and then they brought in an ultrasound machine and i could see my sweet baby just sitting there waiting to be born. I had no idea what was going on and all I could do was cry cry because I could see the expressions on everyone's faces. I screamed at the doctor to tell me what was wrong with my baby and all she could say is I'M SO SORRY. I still could not believe it because I had just went to the doctor 4 days before and my baby was fine. And now the doctor tells me that she doesn't have a heart beat. I gave birth to her at 10:00 that night, she weighed 7 pounds 12 ounces and she was 20 inches long and she was absolutely beautiful. I prayed that the doctor was wrong and that i would hear my sweet angel cry but it wasn't so. They could give me no explanation of what happened or why on the exact day they had told me my baby would be born- i laborod an unborn child. I have been in agony over the past 6 days, wondering what could have happened and why my sweet angel was never allowed to take a single breath here on earth. When i went to the doctor yesterday she said that they examined the placenta and found the fifths disease was present. I have never even heard of this virus and i had no idea that i had even come in contact with it. I feel so bad because i wish there was something i could have done to protect her or to help her. I blame myself because i feel like i should have known. I still cannot believe that this has happened because in all the books I've read over the past two days the percent of fetuses affected by this virus is so low. All I can guess is that this is the medical reason and that God needed another angel by his side. I PRAY THAT YOU AND YOUR BABY WILL BE OK. I WOULD NEVER WISH THIS TO HAPPEN TO ANYONE. I'M SO SORRY TO HAVE HAD TO SHARE THIS STORY WITH YOU BUT I JUST FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO LET YOU KNOW. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR BABY, JUST KNOW THAT IT IS IN HIS HANDS AND ONLY HE HAS ALL THE ANSWERS.

12:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home