The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, July 26, 2004

You know, that 'friend'...

the one I've talked about before.  The one who thinks she is saying the right things, but winds up using POOR judgement and doesn't THINK before she speaks?  The super-fertile, got pregnant to stay engaged...and then also again on her honeymoon.  The one who told me that IF she is going to have #3, she'd have to get pregnant in August.  When I asked, 'why august?' she told me, as if I were dumb, that it would HAVE to be August, so that her maternity clothes would be in the right season.
Oy! To have only maternity clothes to think about when the decision comes to have a baby.
Ok...so maybe I'm jealous of her fertility...but not of her ignorance.  (Mind you, she was telling me this BEFORE I got pregnant this time...talking to an 'infertile' telling me she had to get pregnant in august due to her maternity clothes selection...nice, huh?)
Well, I've been keeping my distance from her lately.  She called today, and it was actually a nice conversation. Its been over a month since we talked.  She then asked how the baby was doing, and I said as far as I knew, good.  She asked what we had bought so far, and I told her not a single solitary thing.  She then said, 'well, I know how it is with #2.  Its not that youre not EXCITED about it, its just not as exciting to be pregnant the second time around.  You have better things going on in your life then to think about the new baby.  You'll have time to think about it when it comes'
Yep! A typical comment from my friend.  You know, the one that doesn't care that I lost my 2nd pregnancy.  The one that didn't care if I was facing infertility.  The one who told me to be glad that I didn't have 2 kids yelling at each other. 
'its just not as exciting 2nd time around'
rriiiiight!
WRONG! (I'd use the b**** word here, but she IS my friend)
Why can't she GET it? Why does she not hear the fear in my voice? Why does she not understand that the REASON I have not bought anything has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with 'not being excited'? but because I'm scared to death that I will somehow jinx it? I'm not supersticious, usually....but why does she not GET it?
Why is the world filled with fertile STUPID women? (not that all women are stupid...trust me! I know MANY MANY fertile women who are not stupid!) But STILL!  Even if they ARE fertile, can't they just TRY to understand?
If someone came up to someone with a broken leg, they wouldn't say, 'well, at least you don't have to worry about getting muscle cramps?'
If someone came up to someone else going through chemo, they wouldn't say, 'well, at least you don't have to stock up on hairspray!'
Really...it isnt FERTILE people I don't like, it is just plain old insensitive people that drive me CRAZY!

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Wow! That's ripe! How did you handle it, because I know that I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut!

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Its impossible to make someone understand who doesn't WANT to understand.
I said, 'no...thats not it at all really..." and I went on to tell her WHY I was feeling the way I was and her reply...'oh'
So, I wasted my breath, and my thoughts on an 'oh'
Nice huh?
Hey! Good luck at that appt today! woohoo! I'll be gone all day and night so I'll have to check it out tomorrow! I can't wait to see the pics!

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world's full of them, huh? Some people just don't get it. Good for your for trying to explain it to her though. ((((((((hugs to you))))))))) I'm sorry you had to deal with that today.

Arwa

4:42 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

There is nothing worse than a "well meaning friend" with no idea of what you are going through. I am so sorry.

7:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home