The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

On parenting and pregnancy

I might sound a little whiny in this post, so friends, please choose if you want to read this or not. I will not be offended.

Those of you who know me know that I have a little boy. He will be 3 in less then 3 months. He has been just the sweetest, well behaved boy I have honestly met. I was a preschool teacher, and I've met a lot of 2-3 yr olds. He listens, follows directions, knows his limits, doesn't push them (for the most part) and honestly, parenting him has been pretty easy! (again...for the most part)
We get compliments on how well behaved his is in public all the time by complete strangers. People offer to watch him because he's so easy to entertain.
Does it sound like I'm tooting my son's horn? Well, yes, maybe...but the tooting is about to stop.
You see, apparently the so called, 'terrible two's' that I THOUGHT had magically passed right on by our house remembered they missed us and are here in full force now.
Tonight, my sweet angelic little boy became the devil! And it breaks my heart to say such a thing about my son!
He had THEE biggest longest temper tantrum he has EVER had in his life. It was while he was in the tub, getting ready to get out. It was also at my MIL's house, who doesn't have a non skid mat in her tub. It was NOT a safe temper tantrum. And here I am 21.5 weeks pregnant trying to pull a 35 lb kicking, screaming, crying, hitting, yelling 2 yr old out of a slippery wet tub alone praying to GOD neither of us wound up falling and hurting ourselves. When I finally DID get him out, it was still horrific. I tried everything, I tried ignoring him...he screamed louder. (I would have left the room, but he was dripping wet and naked. I had to get him dried and dressed) I tried calmly telling him that this was NOT OK, and that he was making mommy sad and hurting my ears. He cried harder and louder. I tried raising my voice and all that did was make HIS voice louder. I didn't know what to do, and I felt I was at the end of the rope. I would have felt better about my choices if I didn't feel like I had a MIL and FIL listening in the other room to see how I would handle this huge outbreak. Finally, Daddy came in and very sternly said, "LOGAN!" and Logan instantly stopped crying. (why do daddy's seem to have that voice that works) I proceeded to explain to him very calmly, but sternly that unfortunatly because of the way he was acting, we would not be doing our nightly routine of reading 3 books together in his bed before bedtime. And secondly, if he didn't immediatly stop crying he would lose his pacifier for the entire night too.
Well! That was the magic word....he said, with a quivering voice..."I'm fine now. I'm sorry"
Now, the night went on, more tears, no more screams or yelling though. And a very nice talk where I explained exactly why we were not going to read 3 books, and how it made everyone sad. But sometimes when people do things that are naughty, things have to happen. This time it was his books. He was just sad that his choices created consequences that he didn't like. Heck, I don't blame him. I didn't like the consequences either. Book time in bed is my favorite part of the day.
So, fast forward until after we put him to bed (without tears by the way. I was impressed that it all sunk in and he DID understand what he did was wrong. I also got one of the biggest hugs tonight, in spite of the whole situation that happened just 30 minutes before. (I just have to say that I think the best kind of parenting is talking to your child. Not yelling or hitting. I think it is SO much more effective...sorry! What I think about parenting may not be important to you! back to the story...)
Anyway, I'm sitting here really concerned about what life will be like when this baby is born. Here I was SO naive to think that we DID skip the terrible twos. I thought it was going to be SO perfect having a baby in the house because Logan would 'get it', and would be old enough to understand more etc....when in reality, it will most likely be the hardest time of my life.
Not only was I literally almost in tears. Like, to the point I was holding them in so I could get out of MIL's house without her seeing me cry. But, that was after a full nights sleep. What is going to happen when I'm only getting a couple of hours of sleep each night. Trying to hopefully sucessfully learn to breast feed this time. Trying to bond with a new baby as well as build a bigger bond with my firstborn. And hopefully watch THEIR bond forming.
Trying to run a family. Do laundry, cook (because unlike when Logan was born and it didn't matter what hours of the day meal times were for me and Dave...Logan WILL need lunch/supper/dinner at the correct times.)
How will Logan react, and how will I have the energy to go on when his reactions cause more exhaustion. How will I make Logan understand that this baby is NOT taking his place.
I'm so exhausted from just this 20 min tantrum, it makes me so nervous (dare I say a bit scared) about parenting 2 children.
----------------------------------
**Edited to add, after a nice hour long veg on couch in a quiet household with a peaceful sleeping child tucked away happily in bed I'm feeling much better about everything. I guess at this age, its bound to happen, right? Here's hoping he gets it out of his system before January**

6 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Hang in there, Jen! Somehow families out there all survive this stage. You're such a great mom, I bet that you'll come through with flying colors!

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Christine, you have no idea how much that means to me to hear you say that.
I know ALL families with more than one child goes through this...they just must not talk about it though, huh?
We'll get through it, I'm SURE of it! :)

4:13 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Christine, you have no idea how much that means to me to hear you say that.
I know ALL families with more than one child goes through this...they just must not talk about it though, huh?
We'll get through it, I'm SURE of it! :)

4:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know why you're so worried? Because you're a great mom, that's why. I'm sure it will all work out. I had worries too, and at times when I was pregnant, even after all the struggle, I'd wonder, "what did I do?" What will a new baby do to our family???? Baby Aislinn is now 3 weeks old, and we're doing great. It will all work out. ((((((((hugs))))))))

-Arwa

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know why you're so worried? Because you're a great mom, that's why. I'm sure it will all work out. I had worries too, and at times when I was pregnant, even after all the struggle, I'd wonder, "what did I do?" What will a new baby do to our family???? Baby Aislinn is now 3 weeks old, and we're doing great. It will all work out. ((((((((hugs))))))))

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jennifer,

One of the sections in my article directory is Home & Family ... while looking for blogs on parenting, I discovered " On parenting and pregnancy ".

Most people believe the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... original content, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas!

As someone who appears to be interested in parenting, I am sure you will find our Home & Family section to be interesting. I am continually searching for bloggers to submit articles and assist me to expand the directory to all our benefit. By contributing, you not only get the recognition of being an author, but also knowing your submission will be seen by many hundreds of internet surfers. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are born with the talent to write to high standards of literacy ... as a consequence, a lot of bloggers don't try to have their articles published.

I like an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any commitments ... please pop over and browse my blog articles directory for yourself.

Kind Regards
Emily

9:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home