The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Friday, October 01, 2004

How could it be?

A sappy parenting post...just a warning!
------
As most of you know, Logan will be three yrs old in one month! HOW on earth my little baby can be three already is just beyond me! Its amazing to say I've witnessed basically every single second of this childs life (except for a couple vacations) and then to all of a sudden realize that he is THREE!
But, anyway...For the last 3 years, Logan has been my right hand man! Anything I do, he does! Laundry, GREAT! Cooking...SO fun! Grocery shopping is the thing to do! Makeup? Pass me a blush brush! He's been attached to everything that I do. Now, I won't lie and say that EVERY second I've wanted him attached to me! I sometimes see Dave sitting enjoying the news after work, while I'm just trying to make dinner quickly. But making dinner quickly is almost a funny thought! Logan has to dump, stir, ask a million questions, rinse, wash dishes and the list goes on and on. Sometimes...ok...a lot of times I would secretly wish that Logan would be more interested with Dave when he came home from work so that my mind could just veg out and make dinner. Well, it never happened, and I just got used to saying, "If we need 3 tablespoons and we just put one in, how many do we still need?" instead of just dropping 3 tablespoons in quickly...etc...and to be honest, I grew to love it!
I was teaching Logan in the easiest form! Everyday life! He sucked it up, and I latched on even harder.
Logan comes to me for everything. If he has to go potty, he comes to me. If he wakes up in the middle of the night and can't find his friend, he comes to my side of the bed to get me up. If he wants to cuddle, I guess I'm more squishy! :)
BUUUUUUUT! Apparently there is something that happens in the brain at around 3 yrs old that all of a sudden tells boys that DAD IS COOL! Not only COOL, but WAY more fun than mom! Mom doesn't roll on the ground and play tickle-tackle (how can she with a watermelon in her belly, right?) Mom doesn't know that when a soccor goal is made, the announcer yells..." SCOOOOOOOOOORE!"
Mom doesn't know what the names of the football teams are just by their colors on the TV. Mom doesn't play the guitar!
Mom doesn't go in the basement and hammer up some drywall and leave a special piece on the ground for Logan to hammer!
How on earth he ever thought I was fun to begin with, I'll never know!
So, I've been slowly watching this transformation with Logan and Dave. It is the greatest thing I've ever been able to be a part of. Logan would always push Dave away, tell him to 'go away!' if he tried to cuddle with us etc....and I always felt so bad, but figured it was just a phase.
Now that the phase is over, I see that genuine love and respect coming from Logan to DAVE, and this new feeling coming from Dave to LOGAN.
Its amazing what parenthood can do to you, and then watching you life take a different shape then you have been experiencing all along can be great in one mans shoes (daves) and sad in another mans shoes (mine!)
Its all bittersweet. I knew it would happen one day, but now that it is happening, its hard to just give up! Watching them everynight go outside while I get a 'break'(laughing at the word break) so that I can clean up the kitchen from dinner and do some laundry, I see them laughing, yelling, tackling, bike riding, batting and catching the ball and having the time of their lives.
I guess its a good thing that its happening now because of the new baby coming soon and all, but the last thing I want to do is give up my 'baby' boy before its time! How will I ever go from seeing him as my baby, to the big brother and big BOY? With his big size 11 shoes, and size 3-4 pants and size 4-5 shirts and his new found independance?
This parental emotional thing is HARD!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

It's hard to go from A#1 to sharing the spotlight isn't it?? Chip is not quite 2.5 but it's hard having to share him with others .. but it's so good for them. Chip worship's his daddy and all his tools. I know he can't wait to be old enough to tinker on cars with his daddy. It's so amazing watching them grow and learn.

7:53 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Awwww! This is sooo sweet. I can't wait until I have stories, too.

3:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home