The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Who else watched it today?

Oprah?
If you didn't, let me give you a little recap. There was a woman on, I believe she was 38. She got married, again I believe at 25 and started trying to have a family with her husband. She had a bunch of ectopics, and then did IVF (I missed how many times) and each time was unsucessful. Unfortunatly, due to infertility stress she and her husband got divorced.
She put her ideas of having a family on hold, but picked a date that she would revisit the idea, married or not.
So, the time came, and she decided she wanted to be a mother. She got donor sperm and did IVF again, against her families wishes (hello people...she's 38 yrs old!). The doctors were going to put in 4 embryo's, but she said only 3. All the embryo's took, and one divided. The woman was now pregnant with quads.
She thought about selective reduction, but decided against it. Her family really pushed her to adopt out a couple of her babies, and she decided that that is what she was going to do. The identicals. But, then she decided she couldn't give away half her babies, so she decided to keep them all.
Her family was quite rude IMO. Her sister and brother had short interviews and said, 'we didn't bargain for this'..etc....her father picked out adoptive families who could take care of the babies better than her etc...
I was shocked to see how this woman was interviewed and how her family talked about her situation. Maybe because I was playing on the floor with Logan I missed something, but it seemed as though she didn't want to ask her family for a thing, and her family, it didn't seem offered much, if any support.
It seemed by the interview that she should be ashamed that she gave birth to these 4 beautiful babies because now she didn't have the finances to raise them the way they "should" be raised. The whole talk was about how now she can't afford to pay for daycare, and she obviously can't work. (the woman was pumping and feeding her 4 babies! Can you imagine?)
She looked dead beat tired. (did anyone else feel this way?)
So, instead of her family opening their arms and giving her a break (physically or emotionally) it seemed to me almost that they felt like she put herself into the situation, she can deal with it. (Even though her sister was sitting in the audience, probably just to be on TV)
She wanted to be a mother. She had always wanted to be a mother. She tried and failed early in her life, and lost her marraige. Who's to say that she doesn't have the right to go for it again. She didn't CHOOSE to have 4 babies! Her last IVF's all failed. And she had many miscarraiges. Not ONE time during the interview(and remember, I may have missed it) did I hear ANYONE congratulate her on the birth of her 4 babies.
I was shocked! There are SO many mothers that have baby after baby after baby when they can't even afford the first one. They are on assistance, just like this mother most likely is. Why is this one such a huge deal? Do they really think it would have been the right decision to give HALF her babies away? I mean, how do you expect someone to do that? Do they think because she wasn't married that she didn't have the right to do IVF and take her chances? Was it because of her age? I dont understand why when married people give birth to high order multiples due to IVF it is national news, and everyone thinks its cute and great, but this woman was made to feel embarassed or ashamed. I'm quite positive the married couples giving birth to quads etc can't afford it either! But they just do!
I was waiting for Oprah to pitch in with SOMETHING seeing she gives randomly to the audience all the time, but was disappointed to see that she didn't offer anything, at least in front of the public. (Although she did go to her house and help bath, feed and dress the babies for a half hour) I remember one show where she gave a nanny service for THREE months to this woman who had an 18ish month old and a newborn just for letting them tape 24 hrs of her hectic life.

I just feel like this woman worked SO hard to get to the point of being a mother, it is a celebration! So, right now her life is tough, she is a single mom and I'm sure she can't even afford to go buy a pizza from the local takeout. She WILL get through it! I'm sorry that financially she is way in over her head (her ped's almost didn't let her come in with one of the babies because she had over $15,000 in debt from them) but I'm happy for her that she is now a Mommy!
If you watched this episode, let me know what you thought?

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I missed the show but that's a shame that Oprah didn't offer some kind of help. If I was her and had her money and all the stuff she gives away .. well I would have bought the woman enough diapers for atleast a couple of years for the quads .. not to mean enough groceries to feed the breastfeeding mom of quads. That's the very least I would have done. As for her family .. they need to get their butts in gear. How can they not be more supportive .. how can they suggest she give her children away? These are their grandchildren or nieces and nephews .. that's just too harsh.

8:47 AM

 
Blogger Christine said...

I missed the show as I was travelling, but it sounds awful. I wonder if you can go to Oprah's website to donate money to this woman. It sounds like she could use the help! I'm so sorry for all of her losses, and I'm sorry that her family doesn't seem to be supporting her. But I have to say big {{Hugs}} and kudos to her for continuing on to acheive her dream!! I doubt that I'd have the half the strength that she has!

12:04 PM

 
Blogger Stacy said...

I watched the show and found it interesting, for lack of a better word.I think she deserves to be a mother and just because she got 4, should she punished for it? Absolutley not! I do wish her family would step up and help but thats thier choice not to and thier right to make that choice. She knew they were against it from the start. It seemed to me she didnt have any qualms about thier lack of participation.

Oprah discussed one of the radio talk show hosts apparently used her as a punching bag since she "choose" to have 4 kids and live off the goverment. My question is what else should she have done? He would have said selective reduction or adoption as she originally planned. I kinda got the impression that what got her in trouble was saying she was going to give 2 up, then changed her mind. She would have been more credible if she had never said that and then backed down.

What bothers me is that she is really stuck and no one to help her. What about churches in her area? Neighbors, etc.? It just seems someone could help her. Does she have any friends? I felt like we didnt get some of the story. Oprah definatley gave the impression that she was all alone with absolutley no help.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger Lala said...

That story sounds reprehensible. Her family seems like a bunch of toads. I didn't see the show, I rarely watch Oprah anymore, especially since she gave cars to people who couldn't afford the tax on them. My best friend has quads plus a singleton who came 13 months after and the support has pretty much dried up after three years. She has a husband who wants to divorce her because she smokes occaisionally and has very few friends. Anyway, enough from me. I'm going to look up Oprah and give her a piece of my mind.

6:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The woman with quadruplets has a website: www.bethsbabies.com Check it out!

Just thought you might like to know. Thanks!
Jen (jenbuster@gmail.com)

2:54 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Jen! I'm off to check it out!!

11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home