The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Doctors appt update...

The appt did not really go as I planned.
Luckily I did not have Logan with me, as he was with his Grandma. When he comes (which he always does) its more rushed, trying to talk over him...etc...so I was happy to have some alone time with the doctor. Turns out I needed it.
Babies heartrate still in the 140's.
It appears the contractions that I had on Monday night were indeed doing something. My cervix last week was LONG and hard, and this week is extremely soft and "very favorable for labor"....yay! Little man is estimated at being over 6 lbs! big boy! :)
What seems like a normal appt started off a bit different. First, we talked about the pelvic pain I am having, and it appears that what I am experiencing is symphysis pubis seperation. My pubic bones, the ligaments inside are seperating and causing the bones to rub against each other. I had testbook complaints, and there isn't really anything I can do except deliver this baby. So, we wait and try to remain comfortable.
Then, when the started to feel my abdomen to get a placement, he took a really long time. He usually find the head still floating and has no problems, so I got a little nervous. It appears that the baby has flipped. He is breech. In order to find the heartbeat (which took FOREVER and scared the CRAP out of me) he had to put the thingy WAY up high, WAY past my belly button. Then, he did the cervical check, and couldn't feel anything even resembling a head...*ouch*
So, I go in for an u/s tomorrow to verify and to go through the criteria needed to see if I qualify for an external cephelic version..
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/coco.html (this tells about it)

It makes me a bit nervous, and truth be told, I'm scared to attempt it.
My doctor will not be preforming it, as he is actually a G.P. and doesn't do surgery (there is a chance of needing an emergency c-section).
If I were to go into labor between now and the version, I'll have to have a c-section.
If the version is unsuccessful, I'll have to have a c-sect.
Again, my doctor will not be the doctor doing the surgery, but I was shocked and wonderfully happy when he said that he would scrub in and be in the room with me. What doctor would do that! Not the one that delievered Logan, thats for sure! I feel so comfortably safe with him.

So, thats where we sit. We wait until tomorrow for the u/s, and if we choose to do the version, we will do it in the beginning of next week.

I won't lie, I'm sad. I literally LOVE labor and delivery. I can wait to go through it again. The waiting, the 'is this it'. I don't want to choose my babies birthday. I want him to.
I want to push him out.
I want to do it myself.
The thought of a planned c-sect makes me very sad! :(
I'll let you know what the u/s reveals tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

Oh Jen I'm sorry. I'll be praying that they find good news tomorrow on the u/s. I don't want you to have to have a c-section. I'm hoping he turns himself around soon.
You do have a great doctor!

4:28 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Sounds like you've got a trouble-maker in there! I hope that things turn around for you (I know, bad pun) and soon! Let us know what happens at your u/s tomorrow!

(((Hugs)))

5:25 PM

 
Blogger ErinMary said...

I hope he flips himself back around for you! Maybe there's a reason he's not head-down, maybe it's for the best he managed to flip around.
I was a breech baby myself, but they managed to get me turned. I never did like being up-side-down.
-Erin

8:27 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I hope that the baby turns before you go into labor!!

Try to keep postive and hopefully he will turn.

Have you picked out a name yet? I just started to read recently, so I haven't read if you had shared that with everyone already.

8:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jen, it sounds like we're getting close to this little one's arrival! I'm very excited for you, despite the news of his breech position.

My goddaughter was originally breech. Her mother had a version and it worked just fine. Well, except that she ended up having a c-section after laboring for other reaosns. But the version worked and didn't cause labor.

I do understand how scared you must be, though. I made the mistake of watching one done on TV. Can they give you any sort of sedative if they have to perform one on you?

7:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jen, it sounds like we're getting close to this little one's arrival! I'm very excited for you, despite the news of his breech position.

My goddaughter was originally breech. Her mother had a version and it worked just fine. Well, except that she ended up having a c-section after laboring for other reaosns. But the version worked and didn't cause labor.

I do understand how scared you must be, though. I made the mistake of watching one done on TV. Can they give you any sort of sedative if they have to perform one on you?

Julia
Uncommon Misconception

7:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home