The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Terms of endearment...

It must be a boy thing.
Think about your husband, your brother, any male relative you know of that has a mother he talks to in front of you.
What does this man call his mother?
If it is anything like MY husband, my BROTHER, or my guy FRIENDS it would HAVE to be...'ma'
'MA'!
I'm not sure where that ever came from! Its not like the DADS are 'DA'!
I asked my mom once a long time ago if it bugged her that J (my brother) called her 'ma' and she told me it didn't bother her one bit. I asked my MIL once a long time ago if it bother HER that D called her 'ma' and she just laughed it off.
I thought to myself, I'd NEVER want to be called 'MA'! How hard is it to add on one last syllable?
MA...Mom...not too much more work, right?
The time has come ladies and gentlemen...I am 'ma'.
At first I thought it was just a day thing, maybe a two day thing that he thought was funny. Like when he calls his daddy, 'dave', it is just funny, cute and the next day it is back to daddy!
Well folks, it isn't going away.
I remember when it went from 'mommy' to' mom', and I was so sad! Then for a couple week period it went to 'MAMA'! Whew! That was the best!! that wasn't too long ago either!
But, then it when back to 'mom'. I can handle 'mom'! I DID think I was going to be 'mommy' for more than 3 yrs though, I'll admit! But, 'mom' was just fine!
NOW though, 'ma'...it just isn't fine! I asked him to call me 'MOMMY' yesterday and he said, "nope! I'll just call you 'ma' for short, OK?"
Well....ok....'ma' it is!
But, don't you have to be over 50 to be a 'ma'? Criminy! I'm not even 30~not even 28 yet!!
But, just in case you are feeling lazy some day and think J is too short, I'm answering by 'ma' now...just to let you know! ;)
-------------
I'm still contracting. I barely got any sleep last night either. My eyes are swollen, I'm physically tired, mentally tired...tired! But I did have the strength to deep clean the bathrooms yesterday and then really go at it with my room (clothes!) and L's room and the nursery. I got the whole house vaccuumed, and the laundry all done and put away. All thats left to really clean is the kitchen. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm really happy with my house at the moment, and would be even MORE happy to come HOME to my house this clean from the hospital! (You hear that baby!) I called the doctor today seeing I've been having contractions since SUNDAY at about 7 or 8pm. His advice...nap as much as possible, take warm baths for comfort, eat and drink as normal and try to rest as much as you can. uh-huh. Yep. Really possible. First DOC, I CAN'T sleep because every time I dose off a contraction wakes me up. Second, why do I want to sleep and rest if the contractions might take off by gravity? Third...EVERY appt this 3 1/2 ft tall little person with wild energy and a never ending conversation comes with me to my appt. Do you forget that? I'm supposed to do what with him while I'm off soaking in a warm tub and napping.
But honestly, as exhausted as I am, mentally I'm doing great.
Yes, I'll be honest. I'd give anything to go into labor this week so the idea of missing christmas with L wasn't hanging over my head. I'm so nervous I will go into labor on Christmas eve and not be able to wake up to Santa coming the next morning. I know we can do it when I come back from the hospital, but still...if I WERE to go into labor by Saturday, it would just be perfect. But I know the baby will come when he wants to. (If he's as pokey as his big brother though, we're in trouble!)
I have my appt tomorrow. I'm praying for some MAJOR cervical changes!
-------------
We might get a new car! I'm so excited! We've been talking about getting a mini-van. haha! 27 yrs old driving a mini van, but I'd totally love one! One with the 'stow and go' seating!
Well, my husband has this deal through his work where he gets a Dodge for 1% (or is it $1.00) under invoice ALONG with the other incentives that are being offered. Right now they have $3000 off AND 0% interest! We're going to look tonight at them to see what the bottom dollar would be. If we don't get it, its totally fine as I love what I drive now. (2003 Hyundai Santa Fe) but a minivan would be so nice to have! especially with all the guy things we'll be doing with our 2 boys! We've already planned some summer camping/boating trips for next summer!

Did I talk your ear off enough today! Yikes!
Doctors appt update tomorrow!

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Ma, I'm looking forward to hearing about your appointment tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that there's soething going on down there!!

Yeah, my dh calls his mother "ma" too, unless he wants something, then it's "mommy." Yup, he's in his 30s, and ocasionally calls his mom "mommy."

I hope that you can either get some rest soon, or that Kermit makes his arrival pronto!!

(((Hugs)))

3:15 PM

 
Blogger ErinMary said...

HI! We got yelled at if we called our mother, ma. Our dad didn't allow it! That went for my brother too!
Come out baby! Don't make your mom miss Santa coming. Don't make your bro miss your mom on Christmas.
I'm 29 and drive a mini-van. I love it! It makes getting the baby in and out sooo much easier. And I said I'd never drive a mini-van. Didn't care anymore after I had Thomas.
Keeping tabs on you, I'm expecting to hear about your new baby any day now. No pressure.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I have a friend who is due on December 23rd. The last 3 drs appts she has had no change. She is only 1 cm and baby still high. She opted to get induced because she didn't want to be in the hospital on Christmas. She goes in on Friday night.

I am still pulling for you to go into natural labor before Saturday though!

How exciting....a new car! That is wonderful. I hope everything works out for you. We begin car/SUV/minivan searching in January. What wonderful Christmas presents - a new baby and a new car.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Jen you sound GREAT! I hope you push that baby out this weekend so that you can be there for Santa.
(pssst. Dave? are you listening? shh. Come here a minute. Make sure that house is clean when she gets home from having a baby. Pleeeease?)

7:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home