The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I survived the death trap

The dreaded MRI was yesterday (Mia! We had them the same day!)
They gave me a valium to take to help with the feeling like I was going to die from lack of oxygen...or maybe that I was somehow going to get stuck in there...or possibly that It would collapse on me when I was in the tube...you know, any of the irrational thoughts that goes through a claustrophobic's head.
The only thing is, I felt NOTHING from the pill. Like it could have been sugar for all I know. Maybe it was!
I walked in the room and saw the death trap. I was so nervous. The woman knew I was scared and asked if I wanted any questions answered first. I asked if they had to tape down my head (they do for Logan's MRI's and Catscans, so I was assuming they would) and she said, "um...well...no...not really" and proceeds to take out this face mask! Like one a hockey player would wear! It snapped into place OVER MY FACE. I tried so very hard to remain calm, but the tears just started coming. She told me she could get a washcloth to put over my eyes, but then I thought that would freak me out even more in case I WANTED to look but then I had a washcloth being held down by a HOCKEY mask!
I took a deep breath and laid down. She gave me the headphones and I picked my channel. Then the mask came on. I had a hard time breathing. silly, isn't it? I often wonder what people who are NOT claustrophic think of people who are. Rationally I know I can breath, I know that there won't just be a shortage of oxygen in a tube that is OPEN on both ends, but at that time, you're just not rational!
I closed my eyes and tried to focus on breathing.
I knew I was going in the tube and they told me the first scan would happen in about 2 minutes. I decided to keep my eyes closed through the whole thing, but then at a moment of weakness I caved and opened my eyes.
What a mistake! I didn't realize that the top of the tube was almost touching my freaking NOSE! It took all I had not to panic. Literally...
But...I did it.
I made it through the complete MRI.
Barely!
They only had to redo one part because apparently I moved a tiny bit.
now I will get the results either Friday or next week.
The doctor that will get the results isn't the most attentive doctor, so I'm thinking next week.
Even thinking about yesterday makes me breath heavy! haha!
Such a wimp I am!

6 Comments:

Blogger ErinMary said...

I can't breath just reading your post. You poor thing! I think it's weird if someone isn't a little claustrophobic.
I'm hoping for you that everything is just fine. How is your memory lately?

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I would have been a basketcase. I'm glad it's over with. I hope you get back good results.

11:12 AM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Ugh, it's bad enough being in the tube, but with a mask on, too? I'm not claustrophobic, but I imagine that situation would make anyone a sweaty, crying mess!

Congrats on making it through! Keep us posted!

3:14 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Yeah, I'm completely anxious just reading about it, too!!

It's over! Yay!!!

See, you can do anything!!

(((Hugs)))

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Ugh. I am soooo glad you made it through. It sounds AWFUL.
Keep us posted.
How are your symptoms? any improvement?

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through that expierience, but I am glad that it is over!

Keep us posted on the results.

9:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home