The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Who knew this motherhood thing could be SO hard...(we now have some answers)

and I'm not talking lack of sleep here, I'm talking about my sweet Logan.
You all know what this little boy means to me.
He definetly owns my heart, no question...
His rash, well, it changed from a rash to brown dots all over his chest/arms/shoulders.
I tried to get him into the doctors, but he couldn't get in so I took him to urgent care (walk in type place)
The doctor was very concerned about the dots. She said they looked like Petechiae

She brought another doctor in to look and he agreed...must investigate.
First on the list of tests, Strep culture. I don't remember if I shared the day where Logan got a strep culture about 2 weeks ago and threw up all over the room/table/floor/DOCTOR etc....well, it was very tramatic. Logan, just thinking about it started vomiting and crying. (I don't blame him!)
We were unable to do the test because all of a sudden little red dots started forming around Logan's eyes.
The doctor said, "we need bloodwork NOW!"
By the time we got him ready for blood work, his entire face was covered in hundreds of little red dots. The doctor said that this could be a platelet problem and she was concerned about LEUKEMIA. I suprisingly held it together while praying to the ceiling that my sweet Logan be OK. He was so brave with the needle, cried silently until they stuck him where he started screaming. It was then that I started crying silently.
We sat in the waiting room while Logan colored with other kids. Some bitch moms kept their children away from the table...I know it was because of Logan's face. (And I know they are not bitch moms, just smart and cautious, but it really made me sad)
She called me in the room and had a nurse sit and color outside with Logan. She didn't want him to come back...and I was scared.
His platelets were normal, but on the low end of normal...normal none the less.
Thank God...
She told me she was going to call infectious disease to get help.
More prayers and more waiting brought us back to he room. We had to do the strep test. I begged the doctor to just give us antibiotics and skip the test, but she said we really needed an answer. It took two male nurses and me to hold him down and the doc got the test. It was heartbreaking...heartbreaking...
Next came two shots, one on each leg. An antibiotic just in case some bacterial infection was brewing...I again had to hold my sweet boy down and they did them at the same time. I didn't have one arm good enough apparently because he broke free screaming a scream I've never heard and lunged for one of the needles and knicked it. He's got a HUGE 'owie' now and can barely walk because of the muscle pain.
More red dots appear...
We then head for a chest x-ray which showed possible pnemonia.
After 4 hrs, no supper and lots of pain we head home(9:45) with instructions to see our doctor this morning. We were given a perscription for antibiotics and no further information.
Something is wrong with my baby, but I (and they) don't know what.
Here are a couple pictures I took this morning..bad pictures, but you can see the dots.

**It appears my son has Henoch-Schönlein PurpuraHe'll need to be watched closely for a few days, but THIS I can handle!**

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh honey!!! I am so sorry you all are going through this. I hope and pray its nothing serious!!!

I was a wreck a couple of weeks ago when Chip came down with the chicken pox so I can only imagine have the Dr. react like that to whatever he has going on.

Saying lots and lots of prayers for you all!!!

1:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I had HS Purpra as a child and was fine very quickly. I believe the doctors had the same reaction and scared my grandmother to death. If you have any questions feel free to email me at anyabeth@comcast.net

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh wow.. glad it's nothing really bad!!!

Hopefully he will be well ASAP. I have worried about him today!!!

5:04 PM

 
Blogger ErinMary said...

Poor, poor, little guy!! I'm crying just reading this. You must be kissing and hugging the heck out of him. I can't stand the thought of my little one getting sick, I would rather it be me any day.
Hope you're okay, Jen, it was a tough day for you too!
-Erin

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I started tearing up reading your story. I'm so sorry you and Logan had to go through all that trauma! I know I would have had a major break down. Hopefully you and your family won't need to visit the ER or any other dr's clinics for a LONG time! I think you've had a couple of year's worth in just a few months.

12:17 PM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

THANK GOD it's not Leukemia or something worse, Jen!!!! I HATE it when they give Grace a shot (which she of course needs for immunizations...), there's nothing worse than watching your baby in pain and them really not have a full understanding of what's going on.

Thinking of you...

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home