The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Oh boy, the big topic came up last night...

WILL
You know, that thing where you must envision the horrible what if's...what if we die...where will our babies go?
How do people have that conversation without breaking down?
I was so happy yesterday. I got almost all the laundry done (which WHY am I sitting on the computer if I'm not done!), Dave organized all the finances/important things into the filing cabinent, Logan was being a prince! Miles was actually NOT crying! Can you believe it?
Then Dave brought it up...death. Or as he called it, 'getting hit by the green bus'.
What should we do?
Who's parents, if either should the boys go to?
What if we 'get hit by the green bus' and the both our parents get hit by that same green bus...then what?
Which aunt or uncle?
IF any?
Instantly my great mood fell and I couldn't help but cry.
I can't die...EVER! Not until both babies are married to women I like! (of course, right!) and I feel confident that they are safe and secure.
And yet, I understand the severity of NOT having a will.
Luckily our parents get along pretty well. Complete opposites though. My dad is a harley rider/daves dad is a suit/tie kind of guy.
But our moms are exactly the same.
Except mine has more health issues...
so, I guess that makes it easier...
No matter WHO gets custody, it will be like a joint custody thing.

But then there is the thought of your MIL raising your babies. You know there are things about her that don't mesh with what YOU would want your children to be raised like...
We need to just get this done so I don't have to think about it anymore.
I know that they will be well taken care of no matter WHERE they go family wise, but wherever they go won't be with ME...
And that is impossible to think of!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

Agreed that wills are not a fun topic, but necessary since you don't want your kids/stuff to get locked in Probate and "doled" out according to antiquated statutes and a judge's ruling. Good luck and thanks for the kick in the butt...we need to do the same!

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

We've talked about it but have never done anything on paper. I think once we buy a house within the next 4 mths or so we'll have it done.
Our choices are pretty limited. Our kids would go to DH's parents. They are great! :) I know they LOVE the kids too. MIL is only 54 and a great mom.
SIL has asked us to have their 4 boys if something happens to them. I HOPE nothing ever does!! I don't know if I could handle 4 boys!! 2 of them being twins! LOL

3:31 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't thought about this. I mean I never thought the what if...Gary and I...both together...

In thinking about it for once second I would have to say it would be my mom, all the way. I could never let my MIL raise my little girl (or future kids). Sorry that sounds harsh, but I couldn't. Now I need to talk to Gary about that "big green bus" and a will. Definitly not a fun subject to talk about.

I guess in the back of my mind, I felt like you, I can NOT die until I am very old and have grandkids and maybe even great grandkids.

6:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home