The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'm a little worried about Miles, can you help?

All Moms out there, I need your advice.
Miles is a big baby.
He didn't come out that big (7lbs 11oz) but he also only gained 7 ounces in the last 4 1/2 weeks of my pregnancy probably due to the HELLP.
It was as if when he came out he was on a mission to make up for lost time.
He was 13.6lbs last Friday at 7 1/2 weeks.
He ate about 5-6 oz every 4ish hours, sometimes a little longer, sometimes a little shorter. He did this 24 hrs a day, he didn't have a longer stretch than that at night. So that is about 30-36oz/day.
Starting Friday when he got sick, his intake dramatically decreased but he would drink Pedialyte like it was candy! (gross!) And would take 4oz no problem of that stuff. He only drank the pedialyte for 16ish hrs...like 4 or 5 bottles maybe at most.
His appetite never picked up and now I guess I'm just worried.
My 13 1/2 lber is only eating at most 2-3oz at a time, with 3 hrs in between. That is only 16-24oz/day. For a 13 1/2lb baby...
He literally just STOPS at 3 if he's gotten that far and will have nothing to do with it anymore.
I know he's anemic, but its as if he just falls asleep half the time and the other half is really grouchy, cramping up in the tummy. This is all new, within the last amost week, so I dont' think he has a problem with the formula as it hasn't changed once since he began it at a week old.
So...would you be concerned?
He has his 2 month appt on Monday...would you wait that long?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

I would say that he's not going to let himself starve. If he's fussy and acts hungry immediately after he eats, that might be a problem. Otherwise I'd say discussing it with your Dr. on Monday would be fine. It gives you a few more days to observe his eating habits or alternatively for him to return to normal. Also, my DH didn't want to "drug up" Grace when she was a newborn, but if there's bad gas pains, I STRONGLY recommend gas drops, it made all the difference in the world for us.

Sorry that was so long! :)

10:18 AM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

if it makes you feel any better, though i am breastfeeding, my son does drink formula when i'm not home, and occasionally when he is too fussy to nurse. up until the past few weeks, he was only eating between 2 and 4 oz a feeding from a bottle, and he's gaining and growing just fine. he would only nurse for 10 minutes tops. he's almost 5 months old, he's now drinking 6 oz and nursing for 20 minutes. his appetite will pick up again, but they do go back and forth anyway.. Aiden still has days where he doesn't eat much at all(today) and other days where he eats more than i think he can hold.

10:25 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Jen mine's probably assvice as I haven't BTDT (so feel free to ignore me), but I would say as long as he's eating I'd wait until Monday. I mean, you know how after you have the flu or something your appetite doesn't return in full force for a few days? That's probably what's going on and he IS eating. I think he'll pick up his pace pretty soon and be feeding like he did before.
You guys are in my prayers.

7:02 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think as long as he is eating and he doesn't seem to be unhappy odds are he will be just fine until Monday's Dr. appt. I think I agree with Kether that it might be just taking him a little time to get his appetite back up after his illness.

7:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home