The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

6 months

Can you believe it?
It seems just yesterday that I was in the hospital!
But no, half a year later and we are SO much happier!
Literally, life is getting MUCH easier!
Miles is becoming a very happy little man!
He doesn't really CRY cry anymore, only fusses to be picked up.
It is a wonderful thing!
I think our magic number was 6 months.
Miles can now roll both ways, which is way too much fun! I put him on the livingroom floor and watch him roll and explore.
He can push all the way up with his arms, but not up on the knees yet. This is all so new to me because Logan was 9 1/2 months before he started rolling! 11 1/2 before he started crawling. He was a little 'sitter' and was perfectly content doing that.
Miles wants to move, and it's so obvious!
He scoots all around and usually wakes up the complete opposite way that I laid him down!
I'm LOVING these days!
In FACT, yesterday, I put him in the shade in his exasaucer and I planted some plants while Logan played on the swing set and Miles bounced around. I didn't honestly know when the time was that I was going to be able to do something without balancing a big babe on my hip. Very exciting!
My big boy is now eating cheerios broken in half. The fun is just beginning.
When Carrie was over, I told her that with Logan I was always missing the stage that he was last in. I didn't want him to grow. With Miles, I can't WAIT for each new stage. Of course I'm living in the here and now, but know that shortly he'll be eating with us, exploring with Logan, and there is so much fun to be had!
One thing that is worrying us a little bit is no babble. No fake coughing yet, no real belly laugh, no consonants...only a little ahhh everyonce and awhile. I'm sure it's just fine, but I read that by 6 months most babies can say 4 sounds. Logan was 4 1/2 months when he was saying mamamamama.
His 6 month appt is next week Friday, but I can tell you that by our scale at home he's about 23lbs. mama's got MUSCLES I tell you! ;)
We opted out of the CIO for now because to be honest, he DOES sleep through, he's just not so good at putting himself BACK to sleep without the pacifier. Once that is plopped in his mouth, he's happy as a clam and falls back to sleep. I figure we can continue that habit of putting it in his mouth for another 2 weeks and see if by then he can do it himself. He doesn't use the pacifier during the day during play, ONLY at sleeping times, so he isn't getting much practice. I'm going to buy about 3 to put in his bed so he can wake up, find it and TRY to put it in his mouth.
So, here we are, half way to one year and I'm amazed at how I feel about motherhood x 2.
You remember how I was so overwhelmed, well, not so much anymore.
Could be because I've decided that I am not going to make myself feel as if I have to accomplish more than I do.
What NEEDS to happen during my day is:
Kids need to wake up, eat and get dressed
Kids need to play with mom
Kids need to have fun
Kids need to eat lunch/bottle/take a nap
Kids need to have more fun
Mom needs to do what she can during the day, but know that the main reason to be home is to be with the kids. So, the laundry is still in baskets or the bed didn't get made. So there are toys all over my livingroom. The good news is, nothing is permanent. I can have a clean house later. For now, if my kids are bathed, dressed, fed, well rested and having lots of fun, my day was a success!

7 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

Cheers to you and Miles!! You sound great! I'm so glad that you are enjoying mommyhood with your boys. I can't wait to hear all of the stories to come!!

Happy Half-Birthday, Miles!!!

(((Hugs)))

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

SUCH a wonderful post! (I'm working on the babble thing, I'll send something to you this weekend, probably).
Please tell me that the magic number is 6. I am weary of the whiny/fussiness and really enjoy the happy baby.
I'm so glad to see that everything is fitting together for you these days. I only wish we could get our two together.

7:11 PM

 
Blogger Jstar718 said...

This is just so so sweet. 6 months is definilty a wonderful age for a baby. Glad to hear you're having fun with it.

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Kari said...

Great post Jen.
Wow - 6 months. That reminds me that 6 months is just around the corner for us...where does time go?
Your boys sound like they are bringing you alot of fun!

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Yay for Miles! Big boy!
I'm hoping Holden's magic number will be 6 months too, he CRYS a lot now. Maybe he'll follow Miles' lead.

And good for you to slow down and just make sure to get the basics done each day! Simplicity makes your life easier and more enjoyable (easier said than done).

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

Happy six months Miles! :D Very sensible plan you have there for you days.

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Misti said...

Jennifer,good for you. Enjoy every second of this stage in your life. I too am looking foward to my baby getting older and just enjoying him.

9:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home