The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, June 27, 2005

BAD habits die hard

Seeing Miles never was the best sleeper, we got into a bad habit.
OK, sidetrack for a minute.
It's amazing how having an easy kid makes you think you are the worlds best parent.
Logan ate well/slept well/smiled all the time.
I thought I knew it all!
Especially when number 2 was on it's way. I figured I was soooo good at it first time around, that this time would be even easier!
HA!
It WASN'T me, It was LOGAN!
Anyway, back to the point...
I can't believe I'm going to admit it...
*gulp*
Miles has slept on his tummy since he was 8 weeks old.
Maybe a little earlier.
I can't remember.
We had a talk with his doctor, informed him that NO ONE was sleeping at all.
We told him that we bought the Angelcare monitor
We told him that of course we were afraid of SIDS. We asked if Miles would have of the high risk complications, and he told us that he understood!
He said he had to of course tell us that sleeping on his back was the safest way to prevent sids, but he also said that they recommend babies with severe reflux sleep on their tummys.
Miles didn't have severe reflux, but puked ALL day...so I'm assuming he had(has) reflux.
The monitor helped us sleep soundly. Still does!
When Miles started sleeping in longer stretches, everytime he'd wake up we'd run and slip that pacifier into his mouth before he realized he was awake.
It worked great!
TOO great!
Now, at just a few days shy of 6 months (HOW!!) he NEEDS his pacifier many times to fall asleep.
NOT the habit we wanted to repeat with our second child.
C.I.O.
Heartbreaking in every way.
Our first time was Saturday at nap. He cried for almost 20 min. Not a straight constant cry though, on and off.
Sunday night, 25 minutes.
He cried through Logan's story time and all while we tucked him in.
I then went and sat right by Miles door listening to each and every cry. They were definitely tired crys.
I wanted to run in and save him.
I wanted to slip him that pacifier SO bad.
I felt like a horrible mom, as all moms I'm sure do when their baby is CIO.
Finally, I heard him take a deep breath and that was that.
No more crying.
I still sat there for another 5 minutes to make sure.
For some reason I feel better about ME hating every minute of it too.
I couldn't just go down and turn on the TV while he was crying. Silly, huh?
He woke up at 1:30am and started to cry.
I peeked in and saw that he was sideways in his crib.
His head was up against the side, and his feet were up against the other side. I assumed that wasn't very comfortable, so I turned him, popped him his pacifier and off to bed. I was upset with myself for doing that, and I hope it didn't make it reverse (do you think it did?)
He usually wakes up around 5:00 for a bottle and about 50% of the time falls back to sleep. Today, he woke up at 6:10. MUUUCH better than 5:00.
I figure, it's time.
He's 6 months old, and I'm guessing over 22lbs.
I don't mind the pacifier, but I don't want to have to go get it all night long either. It's not sound sleep for me, OR him.
It's just hard though, listening to the crying. Feeling like your heart is getting ripped out of your chest.
The GOOD thing is, is I know he's changed, fed, warm, cozy, clean...TIRED! Only ONE thing will fix it...sleep!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

I can't believe that Miles is almsot six months.
Thankfully Liam goes down well at night. no crying. nothing. BUT the day is a NIGHTMARE. He won't nap. When you put him down he wails like we're pinching him or beating him. Seriosuly I'm worried the neighbors are going to call someone. though I don't think they can hear it. CIO is so hard. Yesterday I ended up laying down on the couch with him. Usually he'll settle down and sleep that way, but he still cries hysterically until he wears himself out. I can tell when he's tired. He starts flipping his head back and forth and rubbing his eyes and gets really, really fussy, but yeesh, he won't just SLEEP. The child needs naps. He's so cranky otherwise. So, I hear you. We're going to have to CIO during the day and its HEARTBREAKING.
Can't wait until my angel care monitor comes. Thanks for the input on it.

2:48 PM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Mine sleeps ok during the day, but at night...NOOOOO! cries and cries b/c he's so tired but won't go to sleep! AHHH!
I forsee us in the same situation as you in a few short months.
You're not a bad mommy at all. You have to do what you have to do.

I never can understand this with babies- if they're so tired why can't they just go to sleep!?!?

I want to haer how it works out for you and Miles in the long run.

2:55 PM

 
Blogger dawnamarie said...

Sounds good to me. I suppose even though Aiden is a pacifier addict, he's okay in bed without it. In fact he usually spits it out shortly after her falls asleep. He is also 3 months older than your son, but unimportant. All of his sleeps now involve CIO. Very horrible for me, but I've broken myself of standing by the door listening, and I go watch tv where I can't hear him, and go check on him every 5 minutes or so.

5:24 PM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

OMGosh, I don't even wanna think about the day when I have to put Peanut in her own bed and deal with the paci issue. Actually, as odd as it seems at night she doesn't use it, but it's a MUST HAVE during day-time naps. Not that currently losing it at night would be an issue because SHE'S STILL SLEEPING WITH US. Oh yes, for real...in our bed...every night...

7:21 AM

 
Blogger Lala said...

very hard situation, I think you're a fine mother because you recognize the difference between easy baby and tougher baby. I wish I could tell you it'll get better but it just changes.

11:45 AM

 
Blogger Kari said...

oh, oh, oh....I hate when Delaney is sleepy and miserable. I think there is are days coming we may have to CIO.

7:13 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

It will get better and you will be so glad when he is not so used to sleeping with the paci.

Alyssa was always a good sleeper as long as she had that paci. I would get up 15 times a night to run and stick it back in her mouth. Then came the best day when she could PUT IT BACK IN HERSELF!!

She is still a good sleeper, but now she won't go to sleep without it and I am so afraid to take it away...

10:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why we cosleep...I can't hack the CIO, and just rest so much better with a little one on my left arm all night.

7:52 AM

 
Blogger Katy said...

You are doing so good. I know what your are going through right now is SO HARD. I always felt I was going to have a nervous break down when they cried. Kudos!!!

1:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home