The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

snip snip...ouch!

Well ladies, this is it.
Poor Dave is going under the knife tomorrow.
In the most embarrassing of conditions.
Yes, my dear friends, the 'big V' is tomorrow.
dum, dum, duuuummmmm......

Let's talk a little bit about what a wimp he is.
Something that can be done at our local clinic by his G.P. whom we love and adore will be a little bit more dramatic.
Yes, my husband wants to be completely sedated.
He wants NO part of being involved in any way shape or form with this procedure.
He literally thinks it's worse than any of the childbirth/infertility testing/paps/leep procedure etc....WAAAAAY worse!
While I do agree that this will be an uncomfortable situation, chances are good it won't be as climatic as he thinks it will be.

So, while we could travel about 3.6 miles to our local clinic, we are going to the UNIVERSITY hospital. Yes my friends, the HOSPITAL.
Now, the urologist told Dave (who was very unhappy to hear this) that he wouldn't completely sedate him because of fear alone. There would have to be a medical reason.
So, instead of being completely knocked out, Dave is getting a different form of sedation.
IV sedation where it acts more so like amnesia (sp?) plus he'll be really sleepy. He APPARENTLY won't care what's going on, but um...I think I'd care! Wouldn't you?

Seeing he is having IV sedation, we will have to stay a minimum of one hour after the procedure. So, we arrive at 7:30, get prepped. Start the IV at 8:00am, vasectomy is at 8:30-9:00ish, stay until she guessed 10:30...home by 11:30 (I hope!)
All for something that we could go to our doctors and be home within the hour.

Poor Dave.

I try not to be so hard on him and his fear...ok! I'm TOTALLY lying!! It cracks me up! I told him to forget it, I'd just get my tubes tied. That way it will be a forced break and I could lie in bed for a couple days taking a break! Ha!
My friend told me that her neighbor went for his vasectomy and was so nervous that right as he was going to start her literally started having a seizure!
Then, her OTHER neighbor did it, but something didn't work right and he had to do it again!
Do I tell him this tonight, or wait until after the procedure? *insert evil laugh*

Why, you ask, am I enjoying this so much?

Well, my friends, throughout most of my adult life I have been the patient.
I've had more hands up my yoohoo than most care to admit.
I've had things done that I've never heard of, and more wands and equiptment inserted then I really can believe sometimes.

Dave, he's always waited so comfortable in the waiting room striking up the old conversation with the husband next to him...you know, football, politics, economy.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to strike up some conversation with the women in the room, "oh so, it's YOUR husbands turn today too, huh?"

Ah well, at least I can look at it as a little break to read magazines, drink a cup of coffee and enjoy a bagel (which I'll have to stop and get even though Dave can't eat or drink after midnight tonight) all in peace.

God I'm a bitch!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kether said...

ha! sooo funny.
a friend at work just had his V last week. All week he kept updating us on his "swelling" and how uncomfortable he was.
thank God he seems to have recovered. I couldn't take another week of TMI from him!

what is it about men?

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

Happy V-Day! Yup, I doubt that he'll find much sympathy on our boards...

Men make the worst patients...

4:53 PM

 
Blogger Jstar718 said...

LOL!
My ex had a V months after we had Abby. He laid in bed for a little over a week, telling me how he had it worse than when I gave birth...men are just wimps. They can't help it.

7:17 PM

 
Blogger Misti said...

I didn't know taht was an option, shhhh, don''t tell J. Hes going end of the month. We go Tuesday for the consult. I will laugh so dang hard if they try to talk him out of it in any way. Maybe we should be bring all 4 kids and give the older 3 major sugar before we leave the house,lol.
and your not a bitch you just like paybacks ;)

1:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen!! You seriously just made me spit my water out by writing the word YOOHOO.. lol!!!

Hope everything today went smoothly. Been thinking of Dave.

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Mama Duck said...

God, my husband whines like a bitch every time I bring this topic up.

I DID NOT GO THROUGH INTENSE LABOR TWICE ONLY TO HAVE TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE AGAIN...suck it up!

Hope Dave is doing well!

7:03 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Hope all went well yesterday! thinking of you guys

6:54 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

It should be over by now, hope all is well.

8:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home