The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

I've crossed a line I never thought I would

I have to admit. I'm cheap.
I usually shop at Walmart simply because it's like 3 miles from my house. The last year I've visited Walmart at LEAST 1 time a week because of formula. Now that Miles is done with formula (happy happy dance here) it will become probably once every 2 weeks for so.
I'm excited about the formula for a couple reasons.
A:we don't have to spend the money on the stuff that usually just got poured down the drain anyway. Literally dumping your money down the drain.
B:Without spending that money every week, it leaves me a little more playing room at Walmart. Hey, if you can get a cute sweater on the clearance rack or a complete kids outfit on the clearance rack for $3 and you choose not too because it's from Walmart, well then...you're just stupid....to me anyway.

So, we've decided to work on project Logan. By this we mean it's time for Logan to take charge of some things. Because of Logan's brain cyst, he's always been slow on the large motor activities. Walking, running, climbing etc...well, now he can run REALLY fast, he's even brave enough to jump off the couch or ottoman. Yes, i realize he's 4yrs old. He should be doing this by now, he just hasn't. We've given him some slack, and probably wound up making it worse for him by not making him be in charge of things like getting himself dressed. It's a big battle in our house.
He 'trys' to get undressed (and by 'try' I mean grabs his sleeve, pulls it hard, pouts and says he can't do it) but he's not really excited about it.

For the last 3-4 weeks we've really been making him do it, and I must say it's been going good the last couple of days. I pick out the clothes and give them to him and 9 times out of 10 he can get dressed. The hard things are taking his shirt OFF, and socks. He's doing really well though. Another hard thing was his coat. He could get one arm in but not the 2nd. I taught him the lay it on the ground, put your arms in and flip it over your head trick, and we're all good!
So, that gets us from Jammies to outfit and clothes...that leaves us shoes.
Shoes are something that I'm quite particular with when it comes to my boys. I need cute shoes. NOT expensive shoes...just cute. Logan always has a pair of tennis shoes and then a pair of brown shoes to go with the cutesy cords or khaki's.

*I promise, I'm almost back to Walmart*

We've decided that we're going to take Logan to early kinder admission and see what they tell us. In order to do that though, I need to know that Logan passes the things he'll need to be able to do. Getting dress is one of them. Getting SHOES on is another. Of course, he's only 4, he can't tie his shoes yet.
I've never ever in my life bought him a pair of velcro shoes. HATE them. I think they are thee ugliest shoes ever. And for some reason they can't make cute velcro either. They are allllll awful.
THAT is the line I crossed.
I walked into Walmart on a mission of finding a pair of velcro shoes that wouldn't make me run away.
Let me tell you how tough THAT was.

I caved, but I want to state for the record that I HATE the shoes he bought.
They light up. I hate light up shoes.
They are at least semi-athletic looking and not the big chunky white ones-still too chunky and big for my taste though.
Logan had to wear them home, so as I put them on him in the cart, his eyes got so wide. He said that he felt that these shoes would make him run faster and jump higher.
I am proud to say that now, Logan can 99% get dressed and undressed head to toe by himself. Velcro shoes and all.

And while I was at Walmart, I of course had to check out the $3 and $5 rack. I bought the cutest 2 piece track outfit by Danskin. It's a pea green-CUTE comfy-look like I have it together when I drop Logan off at preschool type thing. Plus I did a happy dance when I realized that the 4-6 was a bit too big, but knew it would shrink anyway, as Walmart's clothing always does.

I tried it on when I got home and much to my dismay, Logan told me, "mom, I wish I had an outfit that made me look like a giant green elephant like you do"
So, um, maybe it's not as cute as I thought.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I hear ya on the formuala thing! Definately a reason for the happy dance!

I hate those light up shoes too.

3:51 PM

 
Blogger Misti said...

wow, you just called me stupid!!
LMAO!!!
But back to whats important. Highfive to Logan for getting dressed all by himself. Way to go!

and yay on no more formula!!! that stuff is pricey.

5:17 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

lol, I'm sure you look gorgeous! You know better than to take fashion advice from a four year old boy, right?

Yay for Logan!

7:00 PM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I LOVE WALMART! They have the best deals.

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

well, crap!
I didn't mean to call you stupid! hee hee!
wait, do you not buy from walmart because you think it's too cheap for your tastes or because you dislike the politics behind Walmart?

10:07 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

LMAO!!! Just checking in this morning, and I noticed that the Google ad this morning is for disposable underwear! Ha ha ha!!!

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

Well, did ya click! hee hee
Christine, I need your link again! I hope you see this!!

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

I LOVE Walmart!! I haven't seen the $3 & $5 racks though. I may have to check those out!!!

I hear ya on the formula too. We've been off it for about 3 months now. We kept her on it for longer than the 12 month mark.

7:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
»

11:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home