The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Aren't they supposed to be alike?

Night and Day-Day and Night.
That's my boys!!

I know I've said this before, but I seriously always figured that raising a second boy would be cake walk because I had already done all of those things with my first boy.
The thing I never realized could happen was that even though they are both boys, and they basically look the same, they could be so different!

Take courage for example.
Sure, Logan has had to do many courageous things in his short life...sedated and unsedated MRI's, hospital stays etc...but he's 99% a mamma's boy. Up until he turned 4, he wouldn't even jump off the couch (or hell, the curb!) without holding someone's hand. He's getting past that, but still VERY cautious.
He thinks he's brave when he jumps on one foot!
He can't get his face wet in the bath without yelling for a dry towel, and would never EVER think about dunking his head.

This weekend we took the kids swimming in our new health club pool. It's a 0" degree pool, so in my little head, Miles and I would be sitting in a couple inch deep water while Daddy held Logan and 'swam' with him.

Riiight!

Now, Logan has gone swimming recently and really loved the inner tube, so I got him some water wings hoping to add some courage. That worked, and he was floating all around!
Miles decided that he wanted NOTHING to do with the little couple inch deep water and stood up ready to walk out in the middle of the water! And he would have too, if I wouldn't have stopped him!
He wanted to go in the waterfall thingy and get his face completely wet. This coming from the younger brother who stays FAR away when that turns on. If water splashes his nose he freaks!
We went in the deeper end and Miles tried SO hard to wiggle out of my arms so that he could 'swim'.
Dave and I had to pass him back and forth because if he was not splashing and kicking he wasn't content. IT was tough work!!

Miles new trick is climbing. He can climb on just about anything. Logan NEVER climbed! I seriously don't think he ever climbed and stood on anything until he was at least 3 and knew how to get back down.
Miles sees that I am in the kitchen and looks for the most dangerous piece of furniture to climb and takes off. I've actually come to terms with my dining room table chairs laying down. I always laughed at people who had to do that. 'Not MY good little boy', I would think. Ha! Payback!

Logan, right up until the time he was potty trained would sit ever so still on his changing table while I changed his diaper and sang songs. I'd point out his little piggy's, his nose, his ears and then gobble up his tummy. It was a sweet time where he learned his body parts quite quickly!

Diaper changing time NOW is flop down, strip down, get diaper off, get kicked in the face...again...try hard to keep child on his back without much luck, and finally fasten the diaper-completely uneven. The pants rarely go back on anymore until we are playing and can be distracted.
This kid will never know the difference between his nose and his knee.

I must say, I am SO excited (but a bit scared) to see how Miles turns out. He'll be 18mo by this summer, and he'll be a riot in the sprinkler and sandbox, I'm sure!!
I've never heard of a big brother being afraid of his baby brother, but I'm thinking this will be the case in Casa Blue!

Raising two boys-you'd think it would be the same! FAR from it!

10 Comments:

Blogger formerteacher said...

My two boys are very different too. However, my oldest likes to climb and destroy things. He is a gentle soul though, really. The younger one is going to be the brute. He already at 9 months pushes his brother out of the way(his brother is ALWAYS in his face or touching him in some way. It'd annoy me too!)
I too thought it would be easy to raise another boy. My how wrong I was. Just like two different genders, I have also learned that two boys can be as different as night and day. So what I mean to say is: I understand!

9:14 PM

 
Blogger Info for you said...

I have one of those too but it's a girl! LOL

She is def diff from her big sis who is 7 yrs her senior.

It's fun though!!

9:49 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Same with my girls. Duckling is very pensive and apprehensive about trying things, Peanut is compulsive and much more willing to jump into something without thinking.

10:05 AM

 
Blogger Anne said...

It's the same here, too! Firstborn is Mr. Cautious, Mama's Boy and the youngest is a wild child, climbing on things, throwing himself around and holding his own with his big brother. It's kind of nice, actually!

They both whine, though.

10:39 AM

 
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

What is it about the 2nd ones?!?
Mine is a climber, wiggler, courageous go getter too!

Where are you swimming up in the Land of Cheese and SNow?!??

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

I swear, our kids are twins!

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

My dh read "The Birth Order Book" recently. The author (Kevin Leham) says that 90% of the time first and second born children will be opposites. Mine are, and just about all my friends' children. Weird huh?

10:45 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:46 PM

 
Blogger Odd Mix said...

When we had our second we thought we had all the bases covered with any more we might have. They were boy (1st) and girl (2nd) and were opsite ends of the spectrum in just about everything. Then we had our third (girl) and discovered there was no spectrum. She seemed to be the oposite of both her siblings - who were the oposite of each other. Try rationalizing that. With number four (also a girl) we confirmed that there is no figuring it out and just went back to muddling through as best we could. We have done OK so far, I suppose. No major trauma, anyway.

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

Your kids sound exactly like my sisters boys. They are 17 months apart and as different as night and day, or day and night....however you look at it. And it seems the older one is a lot like my sister (who is older than me) and the younger one is a lot like me.

It seems like everyone agrees with the first born being timid and the second being crazy!

8:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home