The everyday life of a stay at home mom just trying to stay sane.

Monday, February 20, 2006

when did this happen?

I went shopping this weekend by myself. It's always an odd feeling, being by myself. I'm not holding anyone's hand, I'm not pushing a cart or stroller. It feels strange being able to walk through racks of clothing without getting suck.
As I was looking over the rack of clothing, I noticed a group of women, they were probably 20. They were so cute and fresh and young looking.
One of them smiled at me as she passed by, and all of a sudden I realized that I am so different from them.
It's so funny to look back at my life.
I met Dave when I was 18!
I was dating Dave for almost 5 yrs before we got married and then we got pregnant in like 5 months. I was VERY pregnant on our one year anniversary.
I was only JUST 23 when I got married, 24 when I had Logan.
We didn't get to do all the newlywed things...weekends away, sleeping in together, sharing a bottle of wine or two and being all alone to enjoy it.
Not that I think what we did was bad in anyway, just different than what I expected.
So anyway, I look at these girls out having fun with each other and I think of myself.
I have a nice house.
I have a boat.
I have a minivan.
I have 2 children.
I've been married for 5 1/2 years.

How did that happen?
I feel like it has been so long since I was that girl, yet again, like it was just yesterday. That girl that thought about how she looked in the mirror on a regular basis. That girl who on a whim bought that cute shirt that wasn't on the clearance rack. The girl who had thoughts about when she wanted to get married, have children, get a degree.

I still feel like in a way I'm still that young girl! I mean, I am always told I LOOK young, and MANY times I feel like I'm not old enough to be driving my minivan! ha!
In fact, one day when I was out shopping, some really smooth guy yelled out of his car window, "Hey sweet lady, you shouldn't be driving your mom's minivan!!"
I bet he was stunned when I didn't turn around and give him my number, no? Idiot!

It makes me wonder, when those girls walked by, did they think I was old? the same as them?
I'm in that in between stage. The stage where you are in between young and middle. Sometimes I FEEL young, and sometimes I feel annoyed with the young.

It's so strange to think that I'll only be 41 when Logan takes off for college! 44 when Miles does!

So really, I guess I just had an eye opening experience while I was alone.
I have what everyone so desperately wants-at least most everyone!
I feel so lucky for that, but I also wonder what it would be like to be 28yrs old and to go out with the girls, not as a wife or mother, but just as a girl?

Honestly, I would never want anything different than I have now, but you always look at the other persons grass, don't you?

I learned something fun!
Here's a kiss from miles and an introduction from Logan!

Hopefully I did that right!

14 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

I so miss my life be4 marriage!
:"(

2:07 PM

 
Blogger Simone said...

You're right about the grass always being greener. I think everyone goes through that from time to time. I know I have.

I LOVE the videos. What cuties you have :)

4:11 PM

 
Blogger Amie said...

I can relate to you how feel. Many days I stop and think "wow! I have four kids!? How can I be old enough??"

5:46 PM

 
Blogger momma of 2 said...

I know that stage - I'm in that stage... I've been married almost 10 years, I'm 30, I have two kids and I think to myself...How did I get here? The grass may be greener - but then that grass has to be mowed too!

Your kids are so cute!

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

OMG, your boys are so dang cute!

I didn't get married until late (32!!), and I can tell you that life as a 28 year old, going out with the girls is lonely. I hated it. I liked the independence, but I was very lonely. I love being married. There is nothing better in life that to share my every day with my best friend. Ok, I take that back, being a mom is better.

Sounds like you need a Mom's Night Out! I know I do!!

9:19 AM

 
Blogger Kether said...

omigosh! I love the videos! I love when Logan says, "I have a pencil sharpener." and Miles' kiss is too delicious!

The grass is always greener. But, I did have a minor, I'm not young anymore meltdown this weekend when I went to visit my brother who works at Hot Topic in the mall. ALl the young, cute, hip punk rock kids did NOT like my stroller being in the way and I felt so OLD.
But, when I was away from them, I still feel young.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Kether said...

Oh. But I agree with what Christine said. I got married at 32 also and life was lonely--only I don't think I knew that then I loved calling my own shots, but marriage is so much better.

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You're young.

Very young.

Enjoy both parts of you...the Mommy and the Woman/Girl.

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Anne said...

I'd take my 20-year-old body back, but frankly, not my ignorance!

Your boys are adorable.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger formerteacher said...

Oh, I feel that way all the time!

9:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel, I sometimes wonder what I would be doing if I were still single. But I was single and did what I wanted until I got pregnant at 27, so I had a good run. I don't really miss it. I was lonely without my kids. I think I was out there long enough...

7:54 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Your Logan is so cute! I have a Logan too, who is 4. Good name choice!

1:59 PM

 
Blogger suzspeaks said...

Oh my word, the video's are too cute!! I especially loved the kiss from Miles!
I totally relate to what you were saying. I think we (I) always dream about the opposite of what we have. I have single friends and all they want is a life similar to mine, and all I want sometimes is some "me time". Life is crazy, but we are all in our situations for a reason & for that I am happy!

I like your blog!

10:17 PM

 
Blogger Crista said...

Yup, I totally could have written this post, too. Definitely know where you're coming from!

8:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home